Women’s tennis remains perfect at home

The women’s tennis team remained perfect at home after defeating Marquette University and the University of Central Florida this past weekend. The No. 15 Hurricanes remain 11-0 season at home and 13-2 overall.

The weekend of tennis began Friday when the Hurricanes challenged the Golden Eagles at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches the ‘Canes dominated the competition, and due to injuries on the Marquette team, only two of the three matches were completed. Senior Sara Robbins and junior Staci Stevens defeated Veronica Briseno and Callan Smith 8-3. Freshman Audery Banada and senior Mari Toro also outplayed their competition, defeating Espinosa and Dabrowski 8-3.

The singles matches were also plagued by injuries for Marquette. Only four singles matches were completed and all resulted in wins for the Hurricanes. No.4 Megan Bradley defeated Briseno 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Melissa Applebaum defeated Genevieve Charron 7-5, 6-1, and Toro defeated Smith 6-1, 6-3. Stevens also topped Dominika Dabrowski 6-3, 6-1.

Friday was only the beginning of a stellar weekend for the Hurricanes, however.

On Saturday afternoon the women hosted UCF at the Schiff. In doubles matches the Hurricanes again outlasted their challengers, winning two of the three doubles matches. Applebaum and Bradley defeated Amira Samara and Ola Luczak 8-1. Robbins and Stevens defeated Anna Westin and Kristina Lohmos 8-4. Unfortunately for Toro and Banada, they could not hold off their competition, losing 8-3.

“My game hasn’t been like it was at the beginning. I think it’s been wearing me down a little,” Banada said. “All I think I need is a little bit of rest and then I think I’ll be able to bring it back to the court.”

Banada played with fierceness against her singles opponent Megan Hunter. Banada was able to maintain her perfect season with a 6-4, 6-2 win.

“Though the wind was sometimes a factor, and most of the time it doesn’t make the matches look so pretty, I think this time we were able to handle it,” Banada said.

As for the rest of the single matches, Bradley’s opponent, Westin, defaulted in the second set. Toro’s opponent, Pam Fernandez, defaulted as well, resulting in a win for Toro. Unfortunately for Applebaum, a controversial call resulted in her defeat 6-1, 4-6, (11-9) versus Lohmos. Stevens and senior Sihem Bennacer also defeated their opponents in a clean sweep. Stevens defeated Luczak 6-1, 6-0 and Bennacer defeated Samara 6-4, 6-1.

This past weekend was a defining week for the women, defeating both teams and remaining with a perfect home record. When it came down to it, the Golden Eagles and Golden Knights weren’t quite golden enough to handle the Hurricanes.

This coming week, the women will have a much-needed rest before resuming action against their Big East rival Notre Dame on April 4 in Indiana at noon.

“I think we did really well this weekend, though we are a little tired,” Bradley said. “I think we were able to maintain our game and play at our level.”

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...