Women’s tennis remains perfect at home

The women’s tennis team remained perfect at home after defeating Marquette University and the University of Central Florida this past weekend. The No. 15 Hurricanes remain 11-0 season at home and 13-2 overall.

The weekend of tennis began Friday when the Hurricanes challenged the Golden Eagles at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches the ‘Canes dominated the competition, and due to injuries on the Marquette team, only two of the three matches were completed. Senior Sara Robbins and junior Staci Stevens defeated Veronica Briseno and Callan Smith 8-3. Freshman Audery Banada and senior Mari Toro also outplayed their competition, defeating Espinosa and Dabrowski 8-3.

The singles matches were also plagued by injuries for Marquette. Only four singles matches were completed and all resulted in wins for the Hurricanes. No.4 Megan Bradley defeated Briseno 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Melissa Applebaum defeated Genevieve Charron 7-5, 6-1, and Toro defeated Smith 6-1, 6-3. Stevens also topped Dominika Dabrowski 6-3, 6-1.

Friday was only the beginning of a stellar weekend for the Hurricanes, however.

On Saturday afternoon the women hosted UCF at the Schiff. In doubles matches the Hurricanes again outlasted their challengers, winning two of the three doubles matches. Applebaum and Bradley defeated Amira Samara and Ola Luczak 8-1. Robbins and Stevens defeated Anna Westin and Kristina Lohmos 8-4. Unfortunately for Toro and Banada, they could not hold off their competition, losing 8-3.

“My game hasn’t been like it was at the beginning. I think it’s been wearing me down a little,” Banada said. “All I think I need is a little bit of rest and then I think I’ll be able to bring it back to the court.”

Banada played with fierceness against her singles opponent Megan Hunter. Banada was able to maintain her perfect season with a 6-4, 6-2 win.

“Though the wind was sometimes a factor, and most of the time it doesn’t make the matches look so pretty, I think this time we were able to handle it,” Banada said.

As for the rest of the single matches, Bradley’s opponent, Westin, defaulted in the second set. Toro’s opponent, Pam Fernandez, defaulted as well, resulting in a win for Toro. Unfortunately for Applebaum, a controversial call resulted in her defeat 6-1, 4-6, (11-9) versus Lohmos. Stevens and senior Sihem Bennacer also defeated their opponents in a clean sweep. Stevens defeated Luczak 6-1, 6-0 and Bennacer defeated Samara 6-4, 6-1.

This past weekend was a defining week for the women, defeating both teams and remaining with a perfect home record. When it came down to it, the Golden Eagles and Golden Knights weren’t quite golden enough to handle the Hurricanes.

This coming week, the women will have a much-needed rest before resuming action against their Big East rival Notre Dame on April 4 in Indiana at noon.

“I think we did really well this weekend, though we are a little tired,” Bradley said. “I think we were able to maintain our game and play at our level.”

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...