NEWS BRIEFS

UMTV named best newscast

UM won an award for best newscast at the Florida Associated Press Broadcasters College Contest. Congratulations to UM student winners Stephen Webster, Mike McCormick, Catherine Chubb, Jason Kennedy, Erin Resnick, and Lena Fernandez. Awards will be handed out on April 24, at the FAPB’s college luncheon at Universal Orlando’s Portofino Bay Hotel.

UM teams up with

IMG Academies

UM has entered into an exclusive educational partnership with the prestigious IMG Academies in Bradenton, Florida. Already underway since January, the University of Miami is teaching language courses through its Intensive English Program on campus at IMG Academies. The University plans to offer more courses of study on site.

Harvard sex mag

funding approved

U-WIRE Boston University

In spite of opposition from some if its members, the undergraduate council at Harvard University decided Sunday to grant $2,000 to H-Bomb, a controversial student sex magazine that now will soon be published.

“We try to give money to all recognized students groups,” said Matthew Mahan, president of the Harvard Undergraduate Council.

Mahan said there was “some lively debate” during the council’s regular meeting last Sunday and that some students felt “a moral imperative to censor” the magazine, particularly because of the talk of rape fantasies being included in H-Bomb. The $2,000 allocated to the magazine will not come from Harvard University’s general funds, but instead from the Harvard Undergraduate Council, which manages a separate set of funds. Mahan said there is a possibility that the magazine crosses certain lines.

“In that case,” he said, “we won’t fund them again.”

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...