New faces of ’04-’05 SG inaugurated at Rat

In perhaps the largest congregation of the “stars of UM” on campus, everyone from President Shalala to Brock Berlin came out to the Rat as the Student Government [SG] executive board for the 2004-2005 school year was inaugurated last Thursday.

Shalala spoke about her relationship with SG during the opening of the ceremony.

“You got me to do things I really didn’t want to do,” Shalala said, reflecting on Scott Sadowski’s term as president. “That’s my test, Vance, for a leader.”

“SG makes us better administrators – it makes us more responsive to the students,” she continued. “At the end of the day, that’s what we’re here for.”

Outgoing SG President Scott Sadowski took the podium after Shalala, reflecting on the year and thanking administration and his board members for offering him insight and advice throughout the year.

“As a board, we were true complements – we were the true definition of a team,” Sadowski said. “We all had the passion to make this university a better place.”

Sadowski especially thanked Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely, saying she “set them apart from other SG’s around the country,” and SG Staff Associate Gloria Cooper for being “the passion of SG.” He advised the new board to foster the talent of future UM leaders.

In addition, during the inauguration, Whitely announced the “hot breaking news” that incoming SG President Vance Aloupis had been selected as the new student representative to the UM Board of Trustees. This is the first time in UM history that the undergrad SG president has been named as a voting member of the board.

Mike Abrams, Board of Trustees member and SG president of 1969 worked toward giving students full representation on the Board of Trustees. This kind of endeavor is virtually unheard of in the private university arena.

“It only took 35 years,” he joked.

After SG Chief Justice Hans Grunswaldt swore in the new SG executive board, Aloupis spoke about the upcoming school year.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am,” Aloupis said, after introducing the new executive board. “It’s time for out exec board to put our money where our mouth is.”

Aloupis reviewed his board’s platform for the upcoming year and talked about the spotlight that will be on UM as the national Presidential Debates come to campus in September.

“I just want to let you know that The Storm will be representing the student body for the 2004–2005 school year,” Aloupis said. “We are really going to focus on that.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

sity arena.

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...