New faces of ’04-’05 SG inaugurated at Rat

In perhaps the largest congregation of the “stars of UM” on campus, everyone from President Shalala to Brock Berlin came out to the Rat as the Student Government [SG] executive board for the 2004-2005 school year was inaugurated last Thursday.

Shalala spoke about her relationship with SG during the opening of the ceremony.

“You got me to do things I really didn’t want to do,” Shalala said, reflecting on Scott Sadowski’s term as president. “That’s my test, Vance, for a leader.”

“SG makes us better administrators – it makes us more responsive to the students,” she continued. “At the end of the day, that’s what we’re here for.”

Outgoing SG President Scott Sadowski took the podium after Shalala, reflecting on the year and thanking administration and his board members for offering him insight and advice throughout the year.

“As a board, we were true complements – we were the true definition of a team,” Sadowski said. “We all had the passion to make this university a better place.”

Sadowski especially thanked Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely, saying she “set them apart from other SG’s around the country,” and SG Staff Associate Gloria Cooper for being “the passion of SG.” He advised the new board to foster the talent of future UM leaders.

In addition, during the inauguration, Whitely announced the “hot breaking news” that incoming SG President Vance Aloupis had been selected as the new student representative to the UM Board of Trustees. This is the first time in UM history that the undergrad SG president has been named as a voting member of the board.

Mike Abrams, Board of Trustees member and SG president of 1969 worked toward giving students full representation on the Board of Trustees. This kind of endeavor is virtually unheard of in the private university arena.

“It only took 35 years,” he joked.

After SG Chief Justice Hans Grunswaldt swore in the new SG executive board, Aloupis spoke about the upcoming school year.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am,” Aloupis said, after introducing the new executive board. “It’s time for out exec board to put our money where our mouth is.”

Aloupis reviewed his board’s platform for the upcoming year and talked about the spotlight that will be on UM as the national Presidential Debates come to campus in September.

“I just want to let you know that The Storm will be representing the student body for the 2004–2005 school year,” Aloupis said. “We are really going to focus on that.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

sity arena.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...