New faces of ’04-’05 SG inaugurated at Rat

In perhaps the largest congregation of the “stars of UM” on campus, everyone from President Shalala to Brock Berlin came out to the Rat as the Student Government [SG] executive board for the 2004-2005 school year was inaugurated last Thursday.

Shalala spoke about her relationship with SG during the opening of the ceremony.

“You got me to do things I really didn’t want to do,” Shalala said, reflecting on Scott Sadowski’s term as president. “That’s my test, Vance, for a leader.”

“SG makes us better administrators – it makes us more responsive to the students,” she continued. “At the end of the day, that’s what we’re here for.”

Outgoing SG President Scott Sadowski took the podium after Shalala, reflecting on the year and thanking administration and his board members for offering him insight and advice throughout the year.

“As a board, we were true complements – we were the true definition of a team,” Sadowski said. “We all had the passion to make this university a better place.”

Sadowski especially thanked Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely, saying she “set them apart from other SG’s around the country,” and SG Staff Associate Gloria Cooper for being “the passion of SG.” He advised the new board to foster the talent of future UM leaders.

In addition, during the inauguration, Whitely announced the “hot breaking news” that incoming SG President Vance Aloupis had been selected as the new student representative to the UM Board of Trustees. This is the first time in UM history that the undergrad SG president has been named as a voting member of the board.

Mike Abrams, Board of Trustees member and SG president of 1969 worked toward giving students full representation on the Board of Trustees. This kind of endeavor is virtually unheard of in the private university arena.

“It only took 35 years,” he joked.

After SG Chief Justice Hans Grunswaldt swore in the new SG executive board, Aloupis spoke about the upcoming school year.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am,” Aloupis said, after introducing the new executive board. “It’s time for out exec board to put our money where our mouth is.”

Aloupis reviewed his board’s platform for the upcoming year and talked about the spotlight that will be on UM as the national Presidential Debates come to campus in September.

“I just want to let you know that The Storm will be representing the student body for the 2004–2005 school year,” Aloupis said. “We are really going to focus on that.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

sity arena.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...