I-Week brings seven wonders to campus

Around the world in 80 days? Nix that. The international student organizations and clubs of COISO will be taking you through a journey around the world in a record-breaking seven days, and you won’t even have to leave campus.

“This year is the 37th annual International Week [I-Week], and it’s a tradition at UM,” Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said. “It brings together all the student organizations in the international arena and it’s a wonderful way to showcase the diversity at UM.”

With “Seven Wonders of the World” as a theme, I- Week boasts 30 cultural, ethnic, and religious organizations and clubs that will come together to exhibit their cultures through representative food, music, and activities.

“I think that I-Week in general is one of the most exciting weeks we have on campus – it really enables the students to show the diversity of all our student population in all the country’s that are represented in our student body,” said Richard Walker, assistant vice president of Student Affairs.

I-Week started off on Thursday with “Hometown USA,” which included a pie-eating contest and a performance by a high school Navajo choir who taught students how to dance their native dance. Popcorn, hot dogs, and snow cones were given out.

Opening ceremonies took place on Friday along with Asia Day, where student organizations paraded their flags through the UC patio.

“I’m very honored to be chosen to be Chair of International Week, because it allows me not only to educate other cultures, but to work hand in hand with other organizations that I wouldn’t be able to work with otherwise,” Kelsi Mercado, I-Week Chair, said.

Every I-Week day will be raising money for measles vaccinations in Africa, as well as competing for the titles of Best Performance, Best Dish, and Best Day.

During Asia Day, sumo wrestling, Chinese calligraphy, and a mock Hindu wedding gave students a glimpse inside the world of Asian culture.

“I thought it was a great show all around. I got to learn about the different cultures in Asia,” Anand Vakharia, freshman, said. “It’s just a great show to put on for the public to show diversity on campus.”

“We’re so fortunate to be in such a diverse campus,” Minal Ahson, president of COISO, said. “So for students being able to experience going around the world right here in Miami at the University of Miami, that’s amazing to me.”

For more information about I-Week and other COISO events, visit www.coiso.com.

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...