EDITORIAL Girl Power?

Tomorrow marks the end of Women’s History Month.

Now, let’s face it: how many of us were even aware that March was a month to celebrate women? And, more importantly, why do we even need a national women’s history month? After all, we don’t celebrate men’s history month. Typically, national “months” are used to raise awareness of minority groups, which, accounting for half of the world’s population, women are obviously not. However, perhaps we do need this time to remind us that women are still regarded as second rate citizens in much of the world.

Most members of our generation regard gender discrimination as an issue of the past, something that occurred “back in the day” when women weren’t allowed to vote, when our grandmothers were our age. The majority of today’s females think of themselves as modern women that are free to choose any career, get a divorce, wear what they want, and speak openly about their views. Thanks in part to the feminist movement and sexual revolution of the ’60s, U.S. women now enjoy the same rights as their male counterparts.

However, the inequality of women in the U.S. can still be seen today. Granted, it’s to a much lesser extent than in the past, but they are not immune to gender prejudice. College-aged women are na

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...