Culture

CD REVIEWS HOMME PUTS ASIDE QUEENS for eagles and delivers

Do not let the name fool you! Hardly containing a death metal sound, Eagles of Death Metal are just good old fashion rock and roll. Peace Love Death Metal is a party rock album all about drinking and fucking, with a message and twang that reminds the listener of Guns and Roses, New York Dolls, early Replacements, and Aerosmith circa 1975’s Toys In the Attic, one of the most decadent albums ever released, when they were drugged up and cool. Led by Jesse “The Devil” Hughes on guitars and vocals, he is backed up by Carlo Von Sexron on the drums, aka Josh Homme. This side project of Homme was born out of the collaboration with Hughes on 1998’s Desert Session Compilation 4. The recent troubles in the Queens of the Stone Age, with Nick Oliveri leaving the band, have allowed Homme to let this take center stage for the time being. EODM seems to be the perfect place for Homme to blow off some steam, showing his carefree nature, and proving how he is one of the most innovative and productive musicians in mainstream music.

Starting off with “I Only Want You,” a hopped up declaration of causal sex, Jesse sings, “I’m not really interested in what’s your heart / I never really leave I just slip away.” As civilization crumbles around us, what better statement that we are still alive then embracing a Dionysian hedonistic lifestyle. Lending to a bluesy sound at times, Hughes and Sexron harkens back to a aforementioned ’70s Aerosmith as well as Rolling Stones of “Some Girls” and “Exile on Main Street” period, with “San Berdoo Sunburn,” “Midnight Creeper” and “Wastin’ My Time.”

“English Girl” starts with one of the many catchy guitar riffs of Hughes as Sexron keeps the beat quick and light, as they shout to the listener to, “Keep dancing.” Another standout track here is “Already Died,” with Oliveri on bass, Jesse sings hauntingly of accepting an end to a relationship, “No…I don’t hold a grudge. It’s just hard for me.” The rest of the album is simply plain rock, preaching the idea that music can be fun and rowdy, such as the cover of Stealers Wheel “Stuck In The Middle With You.”

Unfortunately the production value here is a bit disappointing with the album sounding like a collection of demo tapes, filled with false starts and air breaks in between them discussing the tracks. At times the songs do lend towards the rough cut approach, however a bit more effort on the mixing boards could have really made this a tighter piece.

Ross Whitsett can be contacted at r.whitsett@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...