CD REVIEW KEB’ Mo’: CLARITY IN THE FORM OF GREASY BLUES

Learning to appreciate music outside of your genre can sometimes be extremely difficult, especially when you are head strong on what you like. Listening to Keb’ Mo’s fifth studio album Keep It Simple, allowed me to understand what true music really is. Always wondering why adults insult the current state of R&B music, listening to Keb’ Mo’ provided a chance to hear what contemporary music is lacking. The title held truth, in a sense, that Keb’ Mo’ definitely keep his approach simple and focused more on lyrics instead of trying to distract the listener with overly produced tracks. This album, reminded me almost of a Norah Jones album, because like Norah, Keb’ Mo’ has a distinctive voice and the music is a combination of blues and R&B, the only difference though, is the lack of an urge to fall asleep. The 12 songs on the album were written or co-written by Keb’ Mo’ and each song reflects his various personal experiences. The songs that stood out on the album were “Shave Yo Legs,” which is a song about unconditional love and acceptance. On the greasy blues title track “Keep It Simple,” Keb’ Mo’ yearns to return to a less complicated time. In the song, he sings, “I don’t want to be a superman. I just want to go somewhere and use my hands and keep it simple”. His message of simplicity can be a source of inspiration to us all, especially now that we are at the stage in our lives where our actions and choices will shape our future. In the words of Keb’Mo’, remember to “keep it simple.”

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...