CD REVIEW KEB’ Mo’: CLARITY IN THE FORM OF GREASY BLUES

Learning to appreciate music outside of your genre can sometimes be extremely difficult, especially when you are head strong on what you like. Listening to Keb’ Mo’s fifth studio album Keep It Simple, allowed me to understand what true music really is. Always wondering why adults insult the current state of R&B music, listening to Keb’ Mo’ provided a chance to hear what contemporary music is lacking. The title held truth, in a sense, that Keb’ Mo’ definitely keep his approach simple and focused more on lyrics instead of trying to distract the listener with overly produced tracks. This album, reminded me almost of a Norah Jones album, because like Norah, Keb’ Mo’ has a distinctive voice and the music is a combination of blues and R&B, the only difference though, is the lack of an urge to fall asleep. The 12 songs on the album were written or co-written by Keb’ Mo’ and each song reflects his various personal experiences. The songs that stood out on the album were “Shave Yo Legs,” which is a song about unconditional love and acceptance. On the greasy blues title track “Keep It Simple,” Keb’ Mo’ yearns to return to a less complicated time. In the song, he sings, “I don’t want to be a superman. I just want to go somewhere and use my hands and keep it simple”. His message of simplicity can be a source of inspiration to us all, especially now that we are at the stage in our lives where our actions and choices will shape our future. In the words of Keb’Mo’, remember to “keep it simple.”

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...