Spain gives Al-Qaeda terrorists just what they want

On March 14, the Spanish people handed over their government to a Socialist Party against combating terrorism with military action and rewarded Al-Qaeda for slaughtering around 200 innocent Spaniards. Spain’s Conservative Party held a dominating lead in the polls directly before Al-Qaeda’s attack. Why did Spain elect a government committed to appeasing terrorists directly after Europe’s worst terror attack? And what does it mean for the free world’s global battle against jihadists?

Spain’s outgoing Prime Minister Aznar realized the tremendous threat that Afghanistan’s Taliban and the Butcher of Baghdad’s unaccounted-for WMD in Iraq posed to the free world. Accordingly, Spain provided troops and resources to topple the Taliban and joined the 49-nation coalition that enforced UNSC Resolution 1441 through the deployment of 1,300 troops to Iraq.

Al-Qaeda wanted Spaniards to believe that Conservative Party Prime Minister Aznar’s military support for the war against terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq represented the main reason they were bombed and consequently ousted his party from power. Spain’s electorate elected Socialist Party candidate Zapatero and acquiesced to Al-Qaeda.

In reality, terrorists attacked Spain in the context of a global battle to kill “infidels,” destroy democracy and enact a worldwide Islamic fundamentalist state. Al-Qaeda had democratic Europe in their scope for many years. French authorities foiled an Al-Qaeda plot to crash an airliner into the Eiffel Tower in 1994, well before the war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The ideology that the world can fight with daisies against terrorists who seek to literally destroy us represents a naivet

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...