LAST STRIKE,HE’S OUT!

By Jorge Arauz and Darren Grossman

The baseball team will be without pitcher Shawn Valdes-Fauli for the rest of the season, after his recent suspension for violating a team rule for the second time this year.

Valdes-Fauli’s parents, Vivian and Carlos, are extremely upset at Head Coach Jim Morris’ decision to suspend their son.

“We’re very devastated – one minute we’re being told how great and hard working our son is, the next minute, he’s being suspended,” they said. “We don’t want to cause too much with this whole thing, but we want people to realize what actually happened.”

According to both parents, Valdes-Fauli was suspended because he missed a few classes and a breakfast in Tampa and was late to a run – violations that neither parent believes justify a suspension.

Both Carlos and Vivian want one thing to be clear: that each player be treated fairly and with equal consequences.

“All we ask is that rules are applied evenly and that Shawn receive the same treatment as other players who have committed more serious offences and larger crimes,” they said.

Morris released the following statement in response to the suspension:

“Shawn Valdes-Fauli has been suspended from the team for the remainder of the season as a result of a team rule violation. Although none of the violations are of a serious nature, they do require the proper disciplinary actions,” he said. “Shawn could be eligible for reinstatement next season.”

Valdes-Fauli was having a solid season for the Hurricanes. In six appearances, he was 3-0 with a 3.86 ERA. In seven innings of work, he gave up just three runs while walking only one batter and striking out eight.

The loss of Valdes-Fauli, who was the team’s primary setup man since returning March 1, means that the Hurricanes have a void to fill in the bullpen.

“The fear for me is we don’t have the experience,” Morris said. “We have guys who can be very good. They just need more experience.”

The loss of Valdes-Fauli could put more pressure on the starting pitchers to go deeper into games. However, starter Cesar Carrillo doesn’t think it will have a detrimental effect on the ‘Canes.

“I don’t feel that there’s any more pressure on us,” Carrillo said. “Other people just need to step up and do the job.”

Brandon Camardese was also suspended this month for a rule violation. Camardese has been reinstated this and is scheduled to pitch Sunday against Penn State.

The Hurricane will continue to follow-up on this issue as more details become available.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...