ISA hosts dance competition on SoBe

Over 1,300 people attended Florida’s first-ever intercollegiate bhangra dance competition, South Beach Bhangra, hosted by UM’s Indian Students Association [ISA] over spring break. College teams from throughout the nation, including the University of California Berkeley and Cornell University, came to Miami to compete for $3,000 in prizes.

Bhangra is a traditional folk-dance from the state of Punjab in India, originally done during the harvest season to represent virility and energy. Marked by colorful costumes, stunts, upbeat music and the playing of the dohl, an Indian drum, the dances had the crowd cheering loudly and dancing in the aisles. At one point, a spectator even jumped on stage and joined the performers.

UM’s own team, Hurricane Bhangra, did not compete, and instead performed as an exhibition act. According to Tarun Subrahmanian, Hurricane Bhangra captain, the team didn’t compete in order to assert the validity of the competition. Since members of the team helped procure renowned judges, they wanted to allow no room for questioning the results of the competition. Hurricane Bhangra received a standing ovation, and ISA was pleased with the outcome of the competition.

“The event was definitely very successful,” Naveen Bellam, ISA president, said. “For us to have gotten teams from as far as New York and California is really a testament to the potential UM-ISA has on the national level.”

Bhangra competitions are popular all over the nation, yet until now, there was no representative competition for the Southeast. ISA expects to make South Beach Bhangra an annual event; they are hoping to reach attendance of over 5,000 people within the next couple years.

Anand Patel, ISA vice president, feels that ISA now has a national event to call its own. “We thought we would be lucky to have a couple hundred people attend,” Patel said. “To have such a good reception our first year was amazing. South Beach Bhangra definitely exceeded our expectations.”

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...