ISA hosts dance competition on SoBe

Over 1,300 people attended Florida’s first-ever intercollegiate bhangra dance competition, South Beach Bhangra, hosted by UM’s Indian Students Association [ISA] over spring break. College teams from throughout the nation, including the University of California Berkeley and Cornell University, came to Miami to compete for $3,000 in prizes.

Bhangra is a traditional folk-dance from the state of Punjab in India, originally done during the harvest season to represent virility and energy. Marked by colorful costumes, stunts, upbeat music and the playing of the dohl, an Indian drum, the dances had the crowd cheering loudly and dancing in the aisles. At one point, a spectator even jumped on stage and joined the performers.

UM’s own team, Hurricane Bhangra, did not compete, and instead performed as an exhibition act. According to Tarun Subrahmanian, Hurricane Bhangra captain, the team didn’t compete in order to assert the validity of the competition. Since members of the team helped procure renowned judges, they wanted to allow no room for questioning the results of the competition. Hurricane Bhangra received a standing ovation, and ISA was pleased with the outcome of the competition.

“The event was definitely very successful,” Naveen Bellam, ISA president, said. “For us to have gotten teams from as far as New York and California is really a testament to the potential UM-ISA has on the national level.”

Bhangra competitions are popular all over the nation, yet until now, there was no representative competition for the Southeast. ISA expects to make South Beach Bhangra an annual event; they are hoping to reach attendance of over 5,000 people within the next couple years.

Anand Patel, ISA vice president, feels that ISA now has a national event to call its own. “We thought we would be lucky to have a couple hundred people attend,” Patel said. “To have such a good reception our first year was amazing. South Beach Bhangra definitely exceeded our expectations.”

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...