Time to organize to solve parking problems

The Hurricane ran an article not too long ago regarding the closing of parking lots during Convocation Center (C-Center) events and how resident students were pissed off about the policies. Did anyone bother to ask commuter students how they felt? After all, the blocked-off lots are commuter lots. And the answer is: No, they didn’t.

Let’s think about this for a second.

UM charges $300 for a commuter parking pass, then charges $30 on average for a C-Center event ticket, riles support from the attendants of the events for donation money and cashes in on $20 parking citations for commuters caught parking in resident lots. Hmm. The priorities are becoming clear.

So the money-crunching bigwigs at UM are to blame. Big surprise.

Here is a typical scenario for a commuter: You get to the VIP lot with a trunk full of snacks for your starving resident friends who live on Chartwells, only to pull into the lot and be harassed by a parking attendant who tells you to park in Ponce. Yeah, right – my sushi will be warm before I even reach my undernourished dependents!

I’m told I can’t park in the lot because the lot is for C-Center VIP guests only.

Hell, I’m VIP. With what I pay for tuition, I could go to a trillion C-Center events. And don’t even try to sneak into the Snake lot, because the ranting and raving will only increase, along with the threat of towing and parking citations.

My friend once called the Parking and Transportation Department to complain about the situation. Apparently they have no authority to change the parking situation, nor do they know who does.

Solution? Well, how about all the commuters on campus (60 percent of total student body) boycott this ludicrous parking monopoly and pool the collective $300 instead. This newly established “Student Parking Fund” (SPF) would be used with a committee and e-board to organize payment of parking citations.

If interested in this initiative, please complete a membership or e-board application, soon to be developed by me.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...