The hidden eloquence of ACT’s bake sale

Over the last couple of weeks, one might get the impression that the actions of Advocates for Conservative Thought are tantamount to the end of affirmative action, that what they did is so heinous that those participating in it should be exiled to Siberia. I even heard this whole thing described as a “slap in the face.” Actually, a slap in the face might be appropriate to knock some of you into reality. Whether affirmative action is right or wrong is not something that will be ironed out here. My intention with this column is to address the reactions and rhetoric of the opponents of ACT.

What I find most distressing in all this is the unique opportunity that has been missed. Instead of responding with the dignity that you feel ACT has lacked, the argument degenerated into the tone that it always does – name-calling.

True to form, the word “racist” has already been slung about ad nauseum, unfortunate more for the lack of creativity in intellectual thought behind its excessive use, than for the fact that those of you who throw this word about haven’t got a clue as to what it actually means. And no, it’s not something that only afflicts white people. A racist comes in many forms and colors, as history demonstrates.

Certainly, I can understand the knee-jerk reaction of being insulted by cupcakes sold at different prices based upon race, but if ire had remained restrained one might have seen the metaphorical point that was trying to be made, regardless of one’s eventual agreement or disagreement with that point. The fact is, in many areas of our society there are different standards for people based on race. One would have to be a fool not to understand this. Whether it is the African American or Hispanic person victimized by predatory lending practices or a white or Asian student subjected to stricter entrance standards to a law school, discriminatory practices exist.

On an intellectual level, if we’re going to say that a practice that discriminates is wrong then we must agree that it is wrong for everyone, regardless of who benefits from it. The point of the cupcake price differential was to illustrate this in a shocking and provocative way. Instead of seeing that for what it was and countering it with an eloquent argument, UM’s undisputed king of the purveyance of shameless self-promotion utilized the most sound bite-worthy portion of a four-paged email to whip people up into a frenzy, and all before cupcake No. 1 was even in the oven. SG Vice President Clark at least made an attempt at stating a case in favor of affirmative action, half-assed though it was.

On the other hand, the counter-bake sale and subsequent protest, while being dignified expressions of freedom of speech, didn’t really answer ACT’s challenge honestly because those behind it think affirmative action doesn’t have anything to do with race. Oh, really? Then why are all of you so defensive about it?

To say affirmative action has nothing to do with race and that it doesn’t discriminate is absurd, even if you think that such discrimination was necessary to set right a wrong that is inherent in American history.

I would be the last person to deny that something drastic needed to be done 40 years ago, and maybe in the short-term affirmative action was the answer. But when does it end and when will we know? Judging by the attitudes of some, it never will and we never will. To ACT’s credit, at least they asked the question – that’s more than anyone else can say.

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...