THE “Future Feels Good” FOR MORNING BELL

After graduating from UM together and moving to Gainesville for law school and a music scene more accepting of rock music, what is Morning’s Bell’s stronghold for staying together? All the band members live together, two are engaged, and the lead and backup vocalists are brothers. Sounds like a complicated situation to the average person, however, Morning Bell, formerly known as “Future Feels Good” has got everything set straight. The band has been together for about three years and seems to be finally settling into their skin. EDGE sat down with Eric Atria, bassist, backing vocalist, and self-proclaimed PR whore for the band, to eat and shoot the shit.

EDGE: Why did you change your name?

Eric: For some reason everyone thought that is was religious or had to do with robots and spaceships. So we wanted a neutral name, it’s actually a Radiohead song, and Radiohead took their name from a Talking Head song.

EDGE: What is your favorite song to perform?

Eric: We actually do a cover of “Tomorrow Never Knows” and that is the show song.

EDGE: [After seeing a picture of lead vocalist Travis Atria jumping at least three to four feet above the stage] How does he do that?

Eric: I think it’s because he lifts his knees up, it’s not Photoshopped – that’s him.

EDGE: What is your favorite song on the album?

Eric: Well we’re actually working on new stuff right now, since about September/October, we’re taking our sweet ass time. We actually did our first album in five days because the studio is really expensive and we weren’t really comfortable with the music. Now there’s a more unified sound.

EDGE: Describe your music.

Eric: It’s just rock music – we’re not a punk band.

EDGE: Musical Influences?

Eric: Well my brother writes all the songs, so Hendrix, Beatles, Flaming Lips, The Postal Service, solo records from the Beatles. Our keyboardist listens to Bjork, drum and base.

EDGE: About how many gigs do you play a month?

Eric: About three to four times a month, the last time we played at Tobacco Road we were stuck with this Spanish Rock Band who had the place packed with like 200 people – it was awesome.

Listening to Morning Bell’s two CD compilations, the first done in studio and the second done with a good ‘ole iMac, there’s definitely a slightly different sound and obvious growth with the music. Not quite punk, not quite hardcore rock, Morning Bell is simply just good music.

Check out Morning Bell at www.morningbellband.com.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...