THE “Future Feels Good” FOR MORNING BELL

After graduating from UM together and moving to Gainesville for law school and a music scene more accepting of rock music, what is Morning’s Bell’s stronghold for staying together? All the band members live together, two are engaged, and the lead and backup vocalists are brothers. Sounds like a complicated situation to the average person, however, Morning Bell, formerly known as “Future Feels Good” has got everything set straight. The band has been together for about three years and seems to be finally settling into their skin. EDGE sat down with Eric Atria, bassist, backing vocalist, and self-proclaimed PR whore for the band, to eat and shoot the shit.

EDGE: Why did you change your name?

Eric: For some reason everyone thought that is was religious or had to do with robots and spaceships. So we wanted a neutral name, it’s actually a Radiohead song, and Radiohead took their name from a Talking Head song.

EDGE: What is your favorite song to perform?

Eric: We actually do a cover of “Tomorrow Never Knows” and that is the show song.

EDGE: [After seeing a picture of lead vocalist Travis Atria jumping at least three to four feet above the stage] How does he do that?

Eric: I think it’s because he lifts his knees up, it’s not Photoshopped – that’s him.

EDGE: What is your favorite song on the album?

Eric: Well we’re actually working on new stuff right now, since about September/October, we’re taking our sweet ass time. We actually did our first album in five days because the studio is really expensive and we weren’t really comfortable with the music. Now there’s a more unified sound.

EDGE: Describe your music.

Eric: It’s just rock music – we’re not a punk band.

EDGE: Musical Influences?

Eric: Well my brother writes all the songs, so Hendrix, Beatles, Flaming Lips, The Postal Service, solo records from the Beatles. Our keyboardist listens to Bjork, drum and base.

EDGE: About how many gigs do you play a month?

Eric: About three to four times a month, the last time we played at Tobacco Road we were stuck with this Spanish Rock Band who had the place packed with like 200 people – it was awesome.

Listening to Morning Bell’s two CD compilations, the first done in studio and the second done with a good ‘ole iMac, there’s definitely a slightly different sound and obvious growth with the music. Not quite punk, not quite hardcore rock, Morning Bell is simply just good music.

Check out Morning Bell at www.morningbellband.com.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...