U.S. behind in race for cars of the future

Recently, Toyota, Saturn, Nissan and Honda have decided to make all new cars much more gasoline efficient. Leave it up to the Japanese to improve cars that are safe and reliable by making gasoline prices less expensive.

In Sweden, Volvo is the first car company to implement steel bars on the sides of its doors to help protect the drivers and the passengers from receiving bodily damage. Volvo is the first car company built on safety and has excelled for over 30 years.

In Germany, VWs, BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches are all cars engineered to show class and reliability for the consumer to be delighted. Their styles are innovative and sleek-looking. No one has ever said that the shape of their car is an art catastrophe.

Even Korea has made good use of whatever leftover scraps we Americans gave them to make quality, cheap cars that can hold up for five years.

But what about America and its car troubles? Why is it that every recall I hear in the news has to do with an American car that is capable of exploding at any time? The list goes on with Ford Explorers, Ford Broncos, Cadillac Devilles, Oldsmobile Aleros, Ford Pintos, Dodge Stealths… Jesus Christ, the list goes on! America is always duping the consumers by classifying their engines as powerful.

The new Dodge Durango is built on the premise of having DVDs in the car and a HEMI engine. That’s great. Now America can have one example of someone getting killed for watching The Matrix Reloaded while going 130 mph down the freeway! But since the car is very fuel inefficient, reaching that speed requires a helicopter that can refuel tanks in midair.

And people think that bigger cars mean safer rides. Bullshit. After getting into a car accident, the Chevrolet Suburban looked like a Chevrolet Lumina! The SUV was made of aluminum and plastic. Aluminum and plastic belong in a refrigerator – not on the road.

I think when someone buys an American car you have a death wish. The only American cars that I liked were made in the early 1980s, when you could bring your high school sweetheart to the oversized backseat and impregnate her. That is what America lost with its cars over the last 20 years.

Since America can’t build its cars on safety and fuel efficiency, I think America should revert back to those cars with oversized backseats and market them to 18-year-olds. That ought to bring back that American spirit of the football player with his cheap, oversized car having his fun with the hottest blonde cheerleader!

Seth Bleicher can be contacted at s.bleicher@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...