The Vagina’s came and conquered: A man’s perspective on The Vagina Monologues

Truthfully, like a lot of other guys, I was hoping to avoid seeing the Women’s Resources Center’s rendition of Eva Ensler’s play The Vagina Monologues. This play has a firm, and, as it turns out, well deserved reputation for being anti-male. So I’d be paying $12 to be man-bashed for two and a half hours?

The main problem with this play is that one really needs to have “one” to get it. The 30-50 year old women sitting around me were in stitches almost the entire time. I thought I heard a guy laugh once, but it might also have been my imagination. The message delivered early on in the play was that men are evil, militant lesbianism (that’s “militant” not “mnage”) and new age mantras like “you are your clitoris” are the solution to all the world’s problems. Communally shouting words that can’t be printed in this paper also aren’t the answer, but giving all proceeds to charity is at least a healthy start.

On the plus side, a variety of women were profiled-from Afghan women under the Taliban, homeless women in the US to murder victims in Mexico. However, the performances, while heartfelt, weren’t very strong and some of the actors seemed to be mismatched with their material; material that was boiled down to an infinitely long, but occasionally interactive, two and a half hours followed by an additional twenty minutes thanking their sponsors, beneficiaries, faculty consultants, cast, crew (all of whom were already listed in the program).

I dare the Men’s Resource Center to sponsor The Penis Monologues next year (yes, it is a real play!). If run in tandem not only does it amount to theatrical intercourse, but creates a defacto inter-sex dialogue. Which reminds me, doesn’t having two or more performing each sketch defeat the purpose of a monologue?

The Women’s Resource Center sponsored the performance of Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues on March 3-4 to celebrate V-Day, a nationwide campaign to stop violence against women. Proceeds from the two performances go to support the Miami Victims Services Center, (www.vscmiami.org) which provides assistance to people recovering from violent crimes.

Jonathan Twiggar can be contacted at j.twiggar@umiami.edu

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...