Shannon decides to stay with Hurricanes

The football team has had to adjust to several coaching changes this off-season, but it can take comfort in the fact that defensive coordinator Randy Shannon has decided to stay put for the time being.

Shannon was being courted by North Carolina State to take over the same job for the Wolfpack. Soon after it became known that Shannon was not leaving Miami, N.C. State hired Reggie Herring to fill the vacant position.

Shannon has renegotiated his salary with Athletic Director Paul Dee and Head Coach Larry Coker. The terms of the new deal have not been disclosed yet.

According to the Miami Herald, Shannon makes about 175,000 dollars a year working for the Hurricanes. North Carolina State was offering more than 300,000 dollars a year for Shannon’s services.

Coker told the Herald that Shannon’s contract is unconventional when compared to normal deals for assistants.

“He doesn’t actually have a contract but he’ll be here as long as I’m here if he wants to stay,” Coker said. “It’s not a written contract per se.”

Dee told the Herald that Shannon’s raise was not motivated by the increasing of assistant coaches’ salaries, and it does not mean that other UM assistants will be having their contracts modified.

“He’s the defensive coordinator,” Dee said. “And a senior member on the staff. And the market determines people’s values to us sometimes, too. This is an independent event.”

Shannon used to play linebacker for Miami, winning a National Championship in 1987, and returned to the coaching staff in 2001 after working for the Dolphins. His aggressive 4-3 scheme has been regarded as one of the most potent in the nation. In 2001, Shannon received the Frank Broyles Award as the national assistant coach of the year.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...