SG President-elect responds to critics

Since Vance Aloupis’ recent election as SG president, rumors have been buzzing around campus regarding whether or not he can handle the job. Primarily, many have said that Aloupis has jumped into the SG top seat after minimal leadership experiences on campus, most of which have occurred only over the past year.

Aloupis, however says that he has consciously taken a gradual approach to his involvement on campus so as to not overshadow his duties with too many responsibilities.

“I do things right,” Aloupis said. “Good work tends to get watered down when it’s spread over a lot of different leadership positions.”

Aloupis has served as VP of his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, as director of publicity for the Get Out the Vote initiative on campus, and as director for Up ‘Till Dawn, an organization that raises money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

This past summer, Aloupis completed a political internship with Maine Senator Olympia Snowe and learned many things that he says will be helpful during his term.

“I really got a hands-on feel for how government really works,” Aloupis said.

Aloupis says he’s optimistic about realizing his campaign promises.

“We’ve put a lot of research into the ideas on our platform,” Aloupis said. “Having the interest and support of students, I’m confident all of our ideas will be accomplished.”

His ticket agrees.

“It’s been awesome to pull through with such a non-traditional ticket,” Minal Ahson, SG VP elect, said. “I feel like we’re representing so many facets of student life.”

“We didn’t promise anything on our platform that we can’t accomplish,” Steph Berg, SG Treasurer elect, said.

Aloupis said that he never imagined the elections would turn out to be so competitive and controversial.

“The elections have made me a stronger person,” Aloupis said. “I’ve realized that you can’t please everybody.”

He received over 50 congratulatory e-mails within hours after he won.

“I didn’t really know everyone who contacted me, but I thanked them and look forward to meeting them,” Aloupis said.

A devout Catholic, Aloupis believes his strong morals and dedication will help him be a successful SG president.

“I surround myself with good people who have strong morals,” Aloupis said. “I’ve learned that honesty, integrity, and teamwork can overcome huge obstacles.”

Inauguration of the new SG executive board is scheduled for March 25 at 4 p.m. Location to be announced.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...