SG President-elect responds to critics

Since Vance Aloupis’ recent election as SG president, rumors have been buzzing around campus regarding whether or not he can handle the job. Primarily, many have said that Aloupis has jumped into the SG top seat after minimal leadership experiences on campus, most of which have occurred only over the past year.

Aloupis, however says that he has consciously taken a gradual approach to his involvement on campus so as to not overshadow his duties with too many responsibilities.

“I do things right,” Aloupis said. “Good work tends to get watered down when it’s spread over a lot of different leadership positions.”

Aloupis has served as VP of his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, as director of publicity for the Get Out the Vote initiative on campus, and as director for Up ‘Till Dawn, an organization that raises money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

This past summer, Aloupis completed a political internship with Maine Senator Olympia Snowe and learned many things that he says will be helpful during his term.

“I really got a hands-on feel for how government really works,” Aloupis said.

Aloupis says he’s optimistic about realizing his campaign promises.

“We’ve put a lot of research into the ideas on our platform,” Aloupis said. “Having the interest and support of students, I’m confident all of our ideas will be accomplished.”

His ticket agrees.

“It’s been awesome to pull through with such a non-traditional ticket,” Minal Ahson, SG VP elect, said. “I feel like we’re representing so many facets of student life.”

“We didn’t promise anything on our platform that we can’t accomplish,” Steph Berg, SG Treasurer elect, said.

Aloupis said that he never imagined the elections would turn out to be so competitive and controversial.

“The elections have made me a stronger person,” Aloupis said. “I’ve realized that you can’t please everybody.”

He received over 50 congratulatory e-mails within hours after he won.

“I didn’t really know everyone who contacted me, but I thanked them and look forward to meeting them,” Aloupis said.

A devout Catholic, Aloupis believes his strong morals and dedication will help him be a successful SG president.

“I surround myself with good people who have strong morals,” Aloupis said. “I’ve learned that honesty, integrity, and teamwork can overcome huge obstacles.”

Inauguration of the new SG executive board is scheduled for March 25 at 4 p.m. Location to be announced.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...