SG President-elect responds to critics

Since Vance Aloupis’ recent election as SG president, rumors have been buzzing around campus regarding whether or not he can handle the job. Primarily, many have said that Aloupis has jumped into the SG top seat after minimal leadership experiences on campus, most of which have occurred only over the past year.

Aloupis, however says that he has consciously taken a gradual approach to his involvement on campus so as to not overshadow his duties with too many responsibilities.

“I do things right,” Aloupis said. “Good work tends to get watered down when it’s spread over a lot of different leadership positions.”

Aloupis has served as VP of his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, as director of publicity for the Get Out the Vote initiative on campus, and as director for Up ‘Till Dawn, an organization that raises money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

This past summer, Aloupis completed a political internship with Maine Senator Olympia Snowe and learned many things that he says will be helpful during his term.

“I really got a hands-on feel for how government really works,” Aloupis said.

Aloupis says he’s optimistic about realizing his campaign promises.

“We’ve put a lot of research into the ideas on our platform,” Aloupis said. “Having the interest and support of students, I’m confident all of our ideas will be accomplished.”

His ticket agrees.

“It’s been awesome to pull through with such a non-traditional ticket,” Minal Ahson, SG VP elect, said. “I feel like we’re representing so many facets of student life.”

“We didn’t promise anything on our platform that we can’t accomplish,” Steph Berg, SG Treasurer elect, said.

Aloupis said that he never imagined the elections would turn out to be so competitive and controversial.

“The elections have made me a stronger person,” Aloupis said. “I’ve realized that you can’t please everybody.”

He received over 50 congratulatory e-mails within hours after he won.

“I didn’t really know everyone who contacted me, but I thanked them and look forward to meeting them,” Aloupis said.

A devout Catholic, Aloupis believes his strong morals and dedication will help him be a successful SG president.

“I surround myself with good people who have strong morals,” Aloupis said. “I’ve learned that honesty, integrity, and teamwork can overcome huge obstacles.”

Inauguration of the new SG executive board is scheduled for March 25 at 4 p.m. Location to be announced.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...