SG President-elect responds to critics

Since Vance Aloupis’ recent election as SG president, rumors have been buzzing around campus regarding whether or not he can handle the job. Primarily, many have said that Aloupis has jumped into the SG top seat after minimal leadership experiences on campus, most of which have occurred only over the past year.

Aloupis, however says that he has consciously taken a gradual approach to his involvement on campus so as to not overshadow his duties with too many responsibilities.

“I do things right,” Aloupis said. “Good work tends to get watered down when it’s spread over a lot of different leadership positions.”

Aloupis has served as VP of his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, as director of publicity for the Get Out the Vote initiative on campus, and as director for Up ‘Till Dawn, an organization that raises money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

This past summer, Aloupis completed a political internship with Maine Senator Olympia Snowe and learned many things that he says will be helpful during his term.

“I really got a hands-on feel for how government really works,” Aloupis said.

Aloupis says he’s optimistic about realizing his campaign promises.

“We’ve put a lot of research into the ideas on our platform,” Aloupis said. “Having the interest and support of students, I’m confident all of our ideas will be accomplished.”

His ticket agrees.

“It’s been awesome to pull through with such a non-traditional ticket,” Minal Ahson, SG VP elect, said. “I feel like we’re representing so many facets of student life.”

“We didn’t promise anything on our platform that we can’t accomplish,” Steph Berg, SG Treasurer elect, said.

Aloupis said that he never imagined the elections would turn out to be so competitive and controversial.

“The elections have made me a stronger person,” Aloupis said. “I’ve realized that you can’t please everybody.”

He received over 50 congratulatory e-mails within hours after he won.

“I didn’t really know everyone who contacted me, but I thanked them and look forward to meeting them,” Aloupis said.

A devout Catholic, Aloupis believes his strong morals and dedication will help him be a successful SG president.

“I surround myself with good people who have strong morals,” Aloupis said. “I’ve learned that honesty, integrity, and teamwork can overcome huge obstacles.”

Inauguration of the new SG executive board is scheduled for March 25 at 4 p.m. Location to be announced.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...