Piecing together the perfect candidate

As tempting as it was, I almost decided to affiliate with the Democratic Party. But it seems I would have been endorsing their poor choices in primary candidates – I mean, really, did they expect to win America over with Al Gore?

Apparently their strategy this year is just as pitiful. Maybe they are actually hoping that Bush gets voted back in so he won’t try to run again in the future – that is, if he doesn’t extend his office by a swift constitutional amendment and become the next FDR. For a split second I considered the Republican Party but woke up when I didn’t like the sound of a trillion dollar deficit, bombs and guns and the faint ring of the 2000 elections.

So what am I left with? A few minor parties that have problems being recognized for their existence, or do I have a valid reason to pass on voting this year? Well, according to a survey I took at presidentmatch.com, I should apparently vote for Kucinich. He was apparently a 100 percent match for my beliefs despite the fact that I disagreed on his stance for abortion and same-sex marriages.

So I had to ask myself – do I want to sacrifice my moral choices to agree on his stance on other issues that are the complete antithesis of the Bush administration? It seems I am not left with much of a choice. I also have to deal the fact that many politicians’ stances change based upon where the most votes, power and/or money is concerned. I often wish I could cut and paste ideologies from the different parties to create my ideal candidate for the ballot – or even vote 25 percent Republican and 75 percent Democrat.

So if I do go along with Kucinich, I unfortunately have to ask myself: if I did vote for him, would he actually do anything that I cared about – would he push for universal health care, would he reorganize the welfare system, would he put the justice back in the system? Probably not.

So I am left with yet another question – what am I really voting for? Considering how much business gets accomplished on Capitol Hill and how America is truly the founders’ dream of democracy, I seem to be voting for an old guy who is going to represent or misrepresent my country and me.

Marquita K. Bell can be contacted at m.bell3@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...