LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

As the school winds down from the insanity of the recent Student Government elections, I must look back at my experience and contemplate its success. As a candidate for president, I had the fortune of getting to know many great people who happened to be opponents of mine, and since have had time to think about where do I go from here.
While I myself did not win, and the final ticket I supported in the runoff did not win either, I must view this election as not a personal defeat, but a major victory for the student body as a whole. One of the main points of my platform was wishing to raise student involvement, and by the nearly 1,900 voters who voiced their opinion in a runoff, I would say our student body’s involvement level is on the right path. Not only was it a victory in terms of voter turnout, but also it was a victory in the sense that the student body could not go wrong with whomever they decided to elect.
Of my opponents, there was not one that I didn’t have the utmost respect for. All of us had unique platform ideas and a genuine love for the school. It came down to Vance Aloupis being elected, and I have no doubt that the student body is in great hands. UM is truly at a crossroads in its 75+ year existence. We are students at a time in which the University has the ability to make great leaps and bounds, but it won’t be done by us just sitting and watching from the sidelines.
I would like to issue a challenge to the remaining seven of us that were not fortunate enough to defeat Vance. If we all love this school as much as we purported, and genuinely care about our platform ideas and how they can positively affect the school, let’s get them done anyway. We should all show our unwavering support for Vance, and do what is necessary to see our ideas through for the better of the school. I can promise I will try to meet my own challenge; I hope my peers follow with me.

Sincerely,

Don Donelson

P.S. To Danny Pedreira and my secret admirer, I appreciate your support and kind words. Thanks for the compliments and coming to my aide. And to the admirer, I’m single; why don’t you come out of hiding?

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...