LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

As the school winds down from the insanity of the recent Student Government elections, I must look back at my experience and contemplate its success. As a candidate for president, I had the fortune of getting to know many great people who happened to be opponents of mine, and since have had time to think about where do I go from here.
While I myself did not win, and the final ticket I supported in the runoff did not win either, I must view this election as not a personal defeat, but a major victory for the student body as a whole. One of the main points of my platform was wishing to raise student involvement, and by the nearly 1,900 voters who voiced their opinion in a runoff, I would say our student body’s involvement level is on the right path. Not only was it a victory in terms of voter turnout, but also it was a victory in the sense that the student body could not go wrong with whomever they decided to elect.
Of my opponents, there was not one that I didn’t have the utmost respect for. All of us had unique platform ideas and a genuine love for the school. It came down to Vance Aloupis being elected, and I have no doubt that the student body is in great hands. UM is truly at a crossroads in its 75+ year existence. We are students at a time in which the University has the ability to make great leaps and bounds, but it won’t be done by us just sitting and watching from the sidelines.
I would like to issue a challenge to the remaining seven of us that were not fortunate enough to defeat Vance. If we all love this school as much as we purported, and genuinely care about our platform ideas and how they can positively affect the school, let’s get them done anyway. We should all show our unwavering support for Vance, and do what is necessary to see our ideas through for the better of the school. I can promise I will try to meet my own challenge; I hope my peers follow with me.

Sincerely,

Don Donelson

P.S. To Danny Pedreira and my secret admirer, I appreciate your support and kind words. Thanks for the compliments and coming to my aide. And to the admirer, I’m single; why don’t you come out of hiding?

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...