CD REVIEW Truama and Drama Can’t stop them

Much like the phoenix born again from its own ashes, The Living End has resurrected itself from the depths of adversity. With its most recent release MODERN ARTillery, the Australian band proves it’s back in the public eye and ready to perform.

The trio, composed of guitarist/vocalist Chris Cheney, bassist/vocalist Scott Owen and new drummer Andy Strachan, reflects upon this theme in its song “Rising Up from the Ashes.” This, along with the album’s remaining 13 songs, is a mix of fast paced punk and rock and roll.

Lyrically reminiscent of a mature Blink 182 and vocally suggestive of Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, the Melbourne-based band presents its newest material under recording label Reprise Records.

Formed a decade ago Down Under, The Living End shot to success almost overnight in 1998 with the overwhelming response to its single “Prisoner of Society/Second Solution.” Two albums and tours across Australia, Asia, Europe and the United States followed. In 2001, injuries Cheney sustained in a car accident prevented the band from traveling and recording. Then, the drummer quit. MODERN ARTillery is the group’s reintroduction to its fans and the world.

The Living End stretches its style and deviates from its usual rhythm in a few tracks. “So What” stands out with its slower country twang. “In the End” is a throwback to true classic rock sounds. “The Room,” a winding, eight-minute roller coaster of melodies and vocals, concludes the album with a flourish.

The first song – “What Would You Do?” – seems to be a misplaced, poor introduction to the rest of the collection. With its powerful, politically charged lyrics and catchy chorus, “Who’s Gonna Save Us?” would have been a better choice. In the end, whether the question is answered or the band is saved, The Living End delivers.

Rachel Luhta can be contacted at r.luhta@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...