TWO VIEWS, ONE ISSUE: AFFIRMATIVE ACTION Eating cookies at the table of brotherhood

“By portraying our views in a disrespectful manner, nothing positive can be accomplished.”

These were the concluding remarks of a letter to the editor written by members of COISO, SpectrUM and UBS which was published in last Friday’s Hurricane.

Yes, just as Black Awareness Month was concluding, conflict just happens to arise between these minority organizations and the Advocates for Conservative Thought. So what exactly happened?

On Feb. 25, members of ACT held an affirmative action bake sale in the UC Breezeway, selling baked goods at discounted rates to Hispanics and blacks while charging higher prices to Asians and whites. The purpose was to show how unfair affirmative action is because, said co-president Sarah Canale, “everyone should be judged, just like Martin Luther King, Jr. said, on the basis of their character and not the basis of the color of their skin.”

Touch, Sarah, but you entirely missed the context of King’s message. You see, it isn’t just being judged by your character for individual evaluation; it’s breaking the barrier and working together cooperatively with your fellow man – sitting together at the table of brotherhood. Oh, and the whole “affirmative action is like Special Olympics for black people” thing – well, that didn’t really help your case, either.

But this is where the leaders at COISO, UBS and SpectrUM went wrong as well.

Though it’s hard to critique the way these groups came together to combat ACT – they had students donate baked goods that they then redistributed for free with information on affirmative action, gave the leftovers to a homeless shelter and responded through media outlets such as this newspaper – the members of these organizations could have taken the higher road.

Upon hearing about the ACT bake sale, these groups decided that rather than contacting the opposition and attempting to stage an open forum debate for the student body (or even just their groups alone), they would transform the UC Breezeway, which stands as our school’s accepting marketplace of ideas, into a battle area for childish finger-pointing. The real problem is there was no real attempt at reaching out from either side. Certainly, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but let’s be honest: you will get nothing accomplished arguing opposite sides of an issue if you don’t first come together and hear what the other half has to say. What these groups are doing is segregating themselves from one another.

The Reverend would be disappointed.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...