Track & field finishes with several Big East Championships

A new breed of superhero can be found on the University of Miami track. Thanks to a combination of speed, agility, strength, and teamwork, the men and women’s track teams excelled in their indoor season, ending the campaign with a Big East Championship.

The men’s track team blew the competition away at the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championship in Syracuse, NY. In the 60-meter event, junior Tanard Davis finished with a time of 6.78 seconds to win his first Big East Indoor Championship. Sophomore Terell Walden, last year’s Big East 60-meter winner, finished in a close second with a time of 6.78 seconds, Walden was passed by Davis in the final hundredth of a second.

“Walden and Davis are both football guys and they work very hard. It takes a special person to fit two sports into their schedule and still be able to perform well,” Head Coach Mike Ward said.

Freshman Devin Hester finished just behind his teammates at third with a time of 6.82 seconds. Hester emerged victorious in the long jump competition. Walden established a Big East Championship record with a time of 6.76 seconds in the 60-meter preliminary round. Walden’s time beat former Hurricane Santana Moss’ record of 6.77 seconds, which was tied by Hester, who finished second behind Walden in the preliminaries.

“Though we don’t put much emphasis on the indoor season because we primarily focus on the outdoor season, the men still did a good job,” Ward said. “Our win at the Big East Championship was preparation for the rest of the season. For the men to score 43 points between seven guys is significant. We hope in our outdoor events to qualify 14 guys and earn 100 points.”

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive Big East Indoor Championship and jumped to No.10 in the Trackwire rankings for the first time this season. Junior All-American Lauryn Williams captured the 60-meter and 200-meter titles. Williams is the top 60-meter runner in the nation (7.21 seconds) and is No.4 in the 200-meter (23.24 seconds).

Freshman Tabia Charles made a name for herself by capturing the Most Outstanding Field Performer award. Ranked No.1 in the nation in the triple jump (13.53 meters) and No.8 in the long jump (6.28 meters), Charles won both events in Syracuse. Freshman Brenda Faluade was not too far behind at No. 11 in the long jump (6.25 meters) and No. 25 in the triple jump (12.73 meters).

“Success is team a team effort, but athletes like Lauryn Williams and Tabia Charles set an example and lead the team to do it again next weekend,” Head Coach Amy Deem said.

All-American freshman Charlette Greggs is the Big East 400-meter champion and No. 14 in the nation, as well as No. 10 in the 200-meter event. Sophomore Dominique Darden finished at No. 13 in the nation in the 200-meter and No. 28 in the hurdles.

The women finished the Big East Championship dominating all other competition in the 60-meter, 60-meter hurdles, 200-meter, 400-meter, 500-meter, long jump, and the triple jump. Miami earned a total of 170 points, good for first place over Harvard, who finished second with 111 points.

The women and men alike will now compete in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships on Mar. 12 and 13 in Fayetteville, Ark. They will commence their outdoor season this month.

“We have a group of talented young women,” Deem said. “The win at the Big East Championship was a combination of good leadership and an even greater team effort. We couldn’t have done it any other way, and I’m proud of them.”

Antoinette Crdova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...