POLICE BEAT

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tips of the Week: Here are some tips from Officer Henry L. Christensen, director of the Department of Public Safety, about safety in and about your vehicle.
I Always keep your car doors locked with the windows closed.
I Try not to leave valuable items in plain view where they can be seen, lock them in the trunk.
I Keep your vehicle’s key in your hand when entering.
I Make sure that your spare tire and jack are in working order, and always make sure that you have enough fuel in your vehicle.
I Never give strangers a ride, even if they claim to be students.
I If you think you’re being followed, drive to a well-lit populated area or to a police station and keep your cell phone charged, ready and activated.
I If you break down, stay with your car and call for assistance.
I Never accept a ride from a stranger.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 25

8:43 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 26

12:23 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Fraud
2:30 p.m. 1200 Dickinson Dr. Petit Theft
4:56 p.m. 1306 Stanford Dr. Theft

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 27

7:08 a.m. 1306 Stanford Dr. Theft

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 28

8:50 a.m. 1245 Walsh Ave. Vandalism
3:39 p.m. 5501 San Amaro Dr. Theft
6:25 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Burglary

MONDAY MARCH 1

5:45 a.m. 5401 Ponce de Leon Hit and Run
10:07 a.m. 1211 Dickinson Dr. Vandalism
5:17 p.m. 1251 Memorial Dr. Theft
5:17 p.m. 1365 Memorial Dr. Theft

TUESDAY MARCH 2

9:17 a.m. 1252 Memorial Dr. Burglary

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 305-284-6666.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...