NYC Style The Big Apple’s invading MIA, and the city’s feeling it.

Walking on Lincoln Road is a unique experience, filled with savory restaurants, colorful retail shops, vintage boutiques, art galleries, and the mixed chaos of dogs barking, music cranking and the sweet salty smell of nearby South Beach; the outdoor mall is an overwhelming sensory overload. Adding to the experience is chic NYC original, Ricky’s Urban Groove, a unique, modish shop that simply cannot be defined. Opening only a week ago, Ricky’s occupies a sleek space positioned between Pennsylvania and Drexel avenues, near radiating restaurant hotspot the Cafeteria.

From the lights to the window displays, Ricky’s exudes a spunky and playful allure, begging to be penetrated by passersby. Once inside, Ricky’s is like a playground, full of novelties, beauty products, make-up, flip flops and even magnets; the two-story store’s intrigue never ends.

The store seems to be divided in sections- greeting customers in the front are walls lined with flip-flops, wigs and eclectic bags made by companies such as Transversion and Yazzy. In the middle, stacks of T-shirts with characters such as Care Bears and Happy Bunny, line the shelves above diamond-encrusted letter necklaces sparkling in the light, while nearby dashboard ornaments spring back and forth on their coils.

Towards the back of the store, past the reading glasses, the Rosie the Riveter action figure, array of henna body art and feathery as a butterfly-wing-like fake eyelashes are the beauty products.

At least four aisles filled the back from floor to ceiling with guys and girls hair products; concoctions made of seaweed, brightly colored gels, and funky bottles of ooze all vying for a potential buyer’s attention. Not to be forgotten are the straighteners, curling irons, and regular drug store finds such as cotton balls, nail polish, and tweezers that also call Ricky’s their home.

Despite the funk and flair, up the neon lit metal stairs and past the rainbow of fuzzy feather boas, Ricky’s serves up some natural care, just in case all the flair down below isn’t to your liking. Among the natural wooden shelves the faint scents of aromatherapy linger next to scrubbing sea salts and regular Banana Boat aloe, perfect for when that SoBe sun has made sun worshipper’s skin so pink that it matches the new seasons’ Lacoste polo.

However, just when things can’t seem to get any better, Ricky’s has a surprise. Hidden behind dangling whips and a sign that says you must be 18 to enter, Ricky’s has a sex room. Not quite stacked to the max with products, the sex room contains all things to do with sex. Books, condoms, and “play-things” reside in one corner while games, calendars, cards, and ehem-unmentionables-reside in another. The assortment is mind-boggling and the room the size of UM’s dorms, is almost as interesting as all of Ricky’s itself. In general, the store gets a person buzzing like a few New York cocktails and will have anyone raving about it’s enigmatic yet pleasurable appeal.

Ricky’s Urban Groove is located at 536 Lincoln Rd. and is the first location outside of the Big Apple, however, its plethora of baubles will be infiltrating the Shops of Mayfair in Coconut Grove in the upcoming months. Hours are 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. weekdays and weekends are played by ear. If you just can’t wait and don’t have a car go to www.rickys-nyc.com for more information.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...