NEWS BRIEFS

Spring break courses open

Still need to pick up three credits this spring term? There is still time to register for a three-credit Spring Break course. Break your barriers with explorations in creativity, learn more about tough issues like drug abuse and HIV, launch a high tech business or take advantage of a rare opportunity to study lemurs. For more information or to register, email carol@miami.edu, call 305-284-4411 or visit http://www.miami.edu/intersession.

Who to call for information

Medicare and billing concerns? Address questions to Third Party Reimbursement/Office of Compliance at 305-243-HELP or 877-415-HELP. For information about this help line or training programs offered by the compliance office, contact Gemma Romillo at 305-243-5842. Research integrity concerns? Report concerns regarding research integrity and adherence to federal or University regulations directly to the Office of the Vice Provost for Research at 305-243-6415, or you can call the University’s toll-free compliance hotline at 866-YOURCALL.

It’s Athletic Training month

The month of March is National Athletic Training Month. The theme this year is “Injury Treatment: Early Care Speeds Recovery.” Look for athletic training students in the UC Breezeway during this month to learn more about the athletic training major offered through the School of Education. For more information, visit www.education.miami.edu/athletictraining.

Nomination forms out for 2004 Laurel Awards
The 2004 Laurel Awards provides you with the opportunity to nominate an outstanding Student Affairs employee. This award can be given to a full time staff member or student within the Student Affairs division. Information and nomination forms are available at all Student Affairs Offices. Forms are also available at our website http://www.miami.edu/laurelawards. Nomination forms are due by March 26, and are to be submitted to: Ali Rodriguez.
Email, Fax: Toppel Career Center alrodriguez@miami.edu 305-284-3668 Locator Code 6930

Football schedule changed

In response to requests from fans and with the cooperation of the Atlantic Coast Conference and opponent schools, the ‘Canes have changed the 2004 football schedule to avoid any conflicts with the Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah holidays. The home game against Louisiana Tech has been moved from Saturday, Oct. 16, to Saturday, Sep. 18, and the home contest against Louisville has been moved from Thursday, Sep. 16, to Thursday, Oct. 14. All dates remain tentative and subject to change, and game times have yet to be announced. Family Weekend, originally scheduled for the Oct. 16 game, will now be held in the spring semester 2005.

A “who’s who” of UM School of Communication alumni working in various aspects of the communications field will return to campus for the fifth annual Communication Week. With the exception of the Newspaper Design Workshop planned for February 27 and 28, all events are free and open to the public. “Alumni will team up with faculty for discussions on issues that interest communicators in all professions,” said Associate Dean Robert Hosmon. For more information, contact Margot Winick at mwinick@miami.edu or at 305-284-5500.

The University of Miami School of Law Entertainment and Sports Law Society presents their 7th Annual Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium Friday and Saturday March 5-6, 2004 at the University of Miami Coral Gables Campus Law. This two-day event will be filled with panel discussions led by noted attorneys and leaders in the sports and entertainment fields, along with lectures from some of the brightest minds in the business. The event will provide networking opportunities for all to enjoy. Cost is $20 for UM Students, $30 for any Non-UM Student, or $70 for all others. For additional information please contact Tania at UM_ESLS@yahoo.com, visit http://currentstudents.law.miami.edu/esls, or call (305) 284-6887.

RESEARCH REWARDED $CASH PRIZES$
The deadline for submission of abstracts for the Graduate Student Association’s Research & Creativity Forum is March 5. For more information, go online to www.miami.edu/rcf.

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

In cooperation with the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Otto G. Richter Library will be offering online chat reference assistance 82 hours per week. Ask-A-Librarian uses instant messaging to contact librarians at ASERL libraries who help patrons find answers to their questions quickly and easily and search databases. Chat reference assistance is available during the following hours:
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. -9 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
For more information about the Ask-A-Librarian project, contact Carrie Leslie at 284-4042 or at cleslie@miami.edu. Ask-A Librarian can be found at http://www.library.miami.edu/Questionpoint/patronchat2.htm.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...