Culture

BOOK REVIEW

A Box of Matches, Nicholson Baker’s new novel is slow to start, however the novel begins to grab the reader with its monotony, describing and celebrating everyday life through the thoughts of an everyday man. The main character Emmett, is a middle aged man with a wife and two kids, who believes that his time on earth is numbered. Trying desperately to counter act the flow of time Emmett wakes up before the sun everyday and writes his thoughts in the dark, after participating in his usual ritual of making coffee and lighting a fire in the dark. Reading like a journal, Emmett’s thoughts vary in scope, covering topics such as biting into apples and having his son crawl into bed with him after having nightmares. Although the opening line of each chapter, “Good morning, its (month) and it is (time)” becomes mundane and rather dreary, Baker still manages to make every day tasks heartwarming.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...