AFFIRMATIVE ACTION TIMELINE

Mar. 6, 1961:
JFK passes Executive Order that creates the Committee on Equal Employee Opportunity.

Sep. 24, 1965:
First time Affirmative Action enforced.

Feb. 22, 2000:
Florida bans race as factor in college admissions.
Dec. 13, 2000:
Federal judge rules that the use of race as a factor in admissions at the University of Michigan was constitutional.

Mar. 27, 2001:
Judge draws opposite conclusion to University of Michigan decision.

May 14, 2002:
Decision reversed on appeal, ruling the admissions policy constitutional.

Jun. 23, 2003:
Supreme Court rules that race can be used as one of the many factors considered by colleges when selecting students.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...