NEWS BRIEFS

Football schedule changed

In response to requests from fans and with the cooperation of the Atlantic Coast Conference and opponent schools, the ‘Canes have changed the 2004 football schedule to avoid any conflicts with the Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah holidays. The home game against Louisiana Tech has been moved from Saturday, Oct. 16, to Saturday, Sep. 18, and the home contest against Louisville has been moved from Thursday, Sep. 16, to Thursday, Oct. 14. All dates remain tentative and subject to change, and game times have yet to be announced. Family Weekend, originally scheduled for the Oct. 16 game, will now be held in spring semester 2005.

Law symposium to discuss entertainment & sports

The University of Miami School of Law Entertainment and Sports Law Society presents its Seventh Annual Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium Friday and Saturday, Mar. 5 and 6. This two-day event will be filled with panel discussions led by noted attorneys and leaders in the sports and entertainment fields, along with lectures from some of the brightest minds in the business. The event will provide networking opportunities for all to enjoy. Cost is $20 for UM students, $30 for any non-UM student or $70 for all others. For additional information please contact Tania at UM_ESLS@yahoo.com, visit http://currentstudents.law.miami.edu/esls or call 305-284-6887.

Graduate research contest deadline approaching

The deadline for submission of abstracts for the Graduate Student Association’s Research & Creativity Forum is Mar. 5. Cash awards will be given. For more information, go online to www.miami.edu/rcf.

Yearbook needs writers

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that happens on campus and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but the editors can work with longer stories as well. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year and an email address.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...