Greek Week events entertain for charity

The spotlight will be on Greek life this week as a made-over Greek Week takes over campus.

“We’ve tried to make changes to make the experience less competitive and more fun,” Tim Williamson, Greek Week co-chair, said. “We think people will enjoy themselves more, and it’s a great opportunity for the Greek community to come together for a good cause.”

The driving force behind the activities is to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy [UCP].

Last year, Greek Week raised $10,000 for UCP.

The first major event was the Greek God and Goddess competition.

During the event, contestants were asked questions that ranged in topic from the effects of philanthropy on individuals to what candy contestants would choose to be.

“It’s what’s on the inside that counts,” said Robert Castro, of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, explaining why he wanted to be a Tootsie Pop.

Natalie Tick, of Kappa Kappa Gamma, was crowned Greek Goddess.

Jay Wetzel of Sigma Phi Epsilon was chosen as Greek God, perhaps because of his answer when asked what super-power he would choose to have.

“Let’s be honest,” Wetzel said. “I don’t really need any super-powers – I’m already awesome at life.”

Before opening ceremonies on Friday night at the Rathskeller, Greek Week warmed things up with a four-day blood drive at the UC.

“I’m thrilled that people who aren’t Greek came and participated in something that will save lives,” Williamson said. “I encourage people to come out and watch all the events going on as well.”

The Saturday Dance-a-Thon should be the biggest money-making event for the week, with Greeks dancing for eight full hours to help UCP.

The biggest crowd pleaser, however, is the Organized Cheer, with all 16 sororities and fraternities competing against each other.

“As far as the sororities go, so much hard work is put into the Organized Cheer,” Jacky Beato, publicity co-chair for Greek Week, said. “It’s great to see the sisters performing, and the fraternity skits are always funny.”

Many see Greek Week as a chance to break the stereotype that many non-Greeks may have about fraternities and sororities.

“Greek Week allows the Greek system a chance to showcase itself and prove that we’ve changed from the days of Animal House,” Castro said. “We get to show others we believe in a common creed and believe in supporting our community.”

There are still many chances for everyone to get involved before closing ceremonies Sunday.

Organizers for Greek Week want all students to know that whether for enjoyment, camaraderie, philanthropy or a mixture of the three, all are encouraged to come out and join in the festivities, regardless of Greek affiliation.

For more information about Greek Week, contact Kara Miller, coordinator for Greek affairs, at 305-284-8848.

Catherine Howden can be contacted at c.howden@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...