Elections Commission works to ensure sound process:

The backbone of Student Government [SG] elections is the Elections Commission. This 20-person team works to publicize, arrange and legitimize the entire elections process.

In the past, voter numbers have averaged the 1,000-student mark. Their aim was to increase voter turnout to 2,000 students this year, and they nearly accomplished this in last week’s elections with a turnout of 1,957 voters.

The time dedication to this cause is immense. Planning for the spring elections began in December, and during elections the commissioners were up until after 1:30 a.m. each night for trials. This year the elections were crazier, with eight presidential candidates and many student leaders in the race.

The Elections Commission is neutral, and their goal is to keep things fair – not to prosecute only certain candidates. They do not have the power to sway the election; commissioners enforce the codes by giving warnings to or writing up candidates who break the rules. The Supreme Court determines point violations, and if any candidate reaches 20 points he or she is disqualified.

Don’t forget to vote in the SG presidential runoffs. Voting continues today and tomorrow in the UC Breezeway.

SG Meetings are on Wednesdays in the UC Ballrooms from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information visit the SG website at http://www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...