Elections Commission works to ensure sound process:

The backbone of Student Government [SG] elections is the Elections Commission. This 20-person team works to publicize, arrange and legitimize the entire elections process.

In the past, voter numbers have averaged the 1,000-student mark. Their aim was to increase voter turnout to 2,000 students this year, and they nearly accomplished this in last week’s elections with a turnout of 1,957 voters.

The time dedication to this cause is immense. Planning for the spring elections began in December, and during elections the commissioners were up until after 1:30 a.m. each night for trials. This year the elections were crazier, with eight presidential candidates and many student leaders in the race.

The Elections Commission is neutral, and their goal is to keep things fair – not to prosecute only certain candidates. They do not have the power to sway the election; commissioners enforce the codes by giving warnings to or writing up candidates who break the rules. The Supreme Court determines point violations, and if any candidate reaches 20 points he or she is disqualified.

Don’t forget to vote in the SG presidential runoffs. Voting continues today and tomorrow in the UC Breezeway.

SG Meetings are on Wednesdays in the UC Ballrooms from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information visit the SG website at http://www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...