Bake sale is catalyst for discussion on affirmative action

Last week, The Hurricane reported on the Advocates for Conservative Thought [ACT] affirmative action bake sale and the counter-bake sale put on by various minority and international student organizations. However, while the counter-bake sale was held in the UC Breezeway last Wednesday, as scheduled, the ACT bake did not occur until two days later.

Over 150 students gathered on the Rock as the bake sale went on in the UC Breezeway.

“We heard about [ACT’s] plan, and we were expecting them to be out there Wednesday,” Myriam Bien-Aime, sophomore, said. “We can’t let something like this go on – we can’t be disrespected on campus.”

Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, hopes that the student leaders of the various organizations involved, including ACT, continue to discuss these issues in a different venue.

“UM is a very diverse campus, and how they chose to deliver their message, in my mind, was hurtful to our minority students,” Whitely said. “This is a very diverse campus. I personally saw in their eyes the hurt that they experienced. I’m not sure that that’s necessary to have conversations about different opinions.”

However, Sarah Canale, ACT co-president, felt the reaction to the bake sale was a measure of its success.

“We wanted the issue of affirmative action to be discussed on campus, which was clearly obtained,” Canale said. “We wanted to present the racial injustice of affirmative action, and that’s the metaphor of the bake sale, so that goal was achieved as well.”

ACT passed out a flyer saying, “Our bake sale is only as racist as affirmative action is,” and encouraged students to “take a stand” and oppose affirmative action.

Many students mentioned that ACT is supported by SAFAC, which uses the student activity fee that all UM students pay to allot money to organizations on campus. Thus, some argue that they are indirectly paying to be singled out.

“I am so shocked. What ACT is doing is straight up wrong,” Ciara Mohamad, sophomore, said. “People do not come to this school to be discriminated against.”

Students from United Black Students [UBS] signed up to be a part of ACT’s email list and plan to attend ACT meetings in the future.

Andrea Kiser, ACT co-president, said that while typically only students with a conservative view participate in ACT, everyone is welcome to be a part of the organization.

According to Bryan Jones, president of UBS, approximately 1,000 people have signed a petition in support of the minority and international organizations, expressing concern that the ACT bake sale was disrespectful to many students.

“Honestly, we can’t do anything about those people,” Jones said. “Everything we are going to do to counter that is positive.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...