UM gains support in malpractice cap proposal

In a 14-1 decision Monday, the Public Health Trust that runs Jackson Memorial Hospital backed UM’s School of Medicine in its proposal in the Florida Legislature to instate a $200,000 cap on medical malpractice claims as immunity for its medical staff.

What makes Jackson Memorial Hospital so exclusive is that most of its medical staff is furnished by UM’s School of Medicine. Though the camaraderie between this public institution and its benefactor, a private institution, has lasted 51 years, the medical malpractice crisis has shoved it into rocky waters.

In contrast to many South Florida doctors, Jackson cannot deny healthcare to indigent and Medicaid patients. Because of this situation, UM’s medical school is taking the hit.

UM wants to be protected by the same “sovereign immunity” principle as other doctors for its 700 doctors working at Jackson, which itself, as a public institution, is innately protected by this cap.

In 2002, the University’s total malpractice insurance expense was more than $32 million. Last year, it soared to almost $50 million. This debacle led to the School of Medicine losing $30 million last year, and according to Dr. John Clarkson, dean of the medical school, this year’s forecast is not any brighter.

However, Clarkson’s was the one vote in opposition of this decision. His reason is one with which many agree – that imposing a cap on all patients may divert even paying patients to other hospitals.

According to The Miami Herald, results from a trust-commissioned telephone survey of 82 Miami-Dade residents with health insurance showed that, for more than half, the cap would possibly affect the selection of doctors, especially if they are protected by the cap. Half said that, despite this, they would still keep the same physician.

According to Clarkson, two-thirds of all patients at Jackson are either financially covered by state programs such as Medicaid or not covered at all. The other third, private patients of the 700 UM doctors, bring in more than half of the hospital’s annual revenue. This crucial contribution would otherwise be on the shoulders of the Miami-Dade and Florida taxpayers. There are about 500,000 uninsured people and 400,000 Medicaid recipients in Miami-Dade County.

“The relationship between UM and Jackson is strained because of the amount of money UM must put in reserve for lawsuits. If the relationship ceases to exist, that could really hurt the residents of Miami-Dade County.”

– Marcelo Llorente, State Rep. (D-Miami)
“This is incredibly important to our community and to the quality of care at Jackson Memorial Hospital,” state Rep. Marcelo Llorente, D-Miami, who plans to sponsor the bill, told The Daily Business Review. “The relationship between UM and Jackson is strained because of the amount of money UM must put in reserve for lawsuits. If the relationship ceases to exist, that could really hurt the residents of Miami-Dade County.”

Ron Book, the chief UM lobbyist, told the Daily Business Review that the cap will save UM about $40 million annually, and that money can be directed toward education and the recruitment of new faculty.

Book also said that UM is the only medical school in the country without the proper immunity. He cited Emory University and Baylor University as examples of schools treated differently, but representatives from those schools refute his statement.

UM President Donna Shalala, the former secretary of Health and Human Services in President Clinton’s administration, is backing the decision and has called upon legislators to pass the malpractice plan.

The late Jay Weiss, a UM medical school patron who recently passed away, dedicated his final weeks to passing the malpractice cap.

According to The Miami Herald, his efforts were passed to the hands of Senate President Jim King, who had told Weiss that he “would do everything [he]could to get [the bill]passed.”

Some lawyers, namely The Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers [AFTL], question the bill’s constitutionality and claim that UM wants the best of both worlds: the advantages of being a private institution and the sovereign immunity of being employees at a public organization.

“They have it better than any other doctor in the state,” Debra Henley, the AFTL’s legislative director, told The Miami Herald.

Whether or not this is true, the final decision has saved the UM-Jackson relationship from a potentially detrimental ending.

Shalu Patel can be contacted at s.patel16@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...