Culture

CD REVIEWS

San Francisco jam-band New Monsoon’s sophomore effort, Downstream, is full of eclectic, thick textured sounds with flavors including Classic Rock, Bluegrass, Jazz, and Latino music. The style descends from 60’s, Grateful Dead with similarities to Phish and The String Cheese Incident, both leading contemporary bands of the genre.

Downstream relies heavily on instrumentals. The most notable attribute of the CD is the diverse percussion. Three of the band’s seven members are devoted to drums, many of which give the album its Latin and Eastern sounds. The album breaks down with the entrance of the lyrics which are overly optimistic and weak. They are intended to be inspirational but have little solid content other than how beautiful the world looks when you’re high, with lyrics like “Find the backroads where the coast is clear, open up the pouch and smile, they say the west is nice this time of year” from the song Velvet Pouch .

New Monsoon remains unsigned, producing and releasing their two CDs independently, relying on live performances and a strong fan base for support and exposure. As any jam band fan knows, live is always better.

Jessica Sanders can be contacted at j.sanders4 @umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...