The Passion: Media outcry, audience frenzy

With 30,000 tickets a day being purchased in advance, Oscar-winning director Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ release date is tomorrow, Ash Wednesday. The Anti-Defamation League and the Jewish community have criticized the Gibson film as depicting the crucifixion of Christ in a manner that would incite anti-Semitism. Despite criticism and opposition from liberal media, the film will debut in the United States in over 3,500 theaters, with 800 possibly being added. This marks the widest opening ever of a subtitled picture, Variety reported, and is remarkable for an independent film (Gibson personally donated $25 million after Hollywood production studios refused to support it).

The Passion of the Christ has now been the focus of continued attacks from liberal organizations and the liberal community, despite many members of the cast and crew, including the screenwriter, being from the Jewish community. According to Alan Sereboff, a Jewish-American screenwriter and filmmaker, the movie is not anti-Semitic and “will not create a single bigot or anti-Semite. It may, however, reveal them.” He continues to add, “As a Jew, I left the movie feeling a greater sense of kinship and closeness to my Christian brothers and sisters than I ever thought imaginable.”

With the wide variety of sentiments from both the Christian and Jewish communities, as well as liberal and conservative organizations, one thing is certain: failed attempts of submission, in the political correctness context, by Hollywood production companies appears to be censorship, rather than tolerance for originality and creativeness despite offensiveness. Is that not liberal thought at heart?

“I would hope that fellow Jews and Christians alike would see the importance in respecting your rights to create and share whatever vision you choose, and the hypocrisy in the attempts to censure of said rights,” said Sereboff. To remark that Passion is simply a film assigning blame or finger-pointing is analogous of stating that Gladiator was simple a film about Romans’ cruelty to animals and obsession with lion fighting, or Ben-Hur was simply about chariots.

“I cannot recall a film that has had such a profound effect on my understanding of history, religion and, perhaps most importantly, what we as human beings are capable of in relation to our treatment of one another,” wrote Sereboff.

For more information, visit www.thepassionofthechrist.com and www.passion-movie.com.

Nathalia Gillot is can be contacted at n.gillot@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...