Presidential debate draws a crowd, SG constitution amended

The SG presidential debate last Wednesday at the Rat, with eight candidates vying for President, was, not surprisingly, bristling with students.

Hans Grunwaldt, the SG Supreme Court Chief Justice, commented that there were more people at this year’s debate sitting around just three tables – and the place was packed – than there had been in total attendance at previous year’s debates.

That is great news for student involvement.

Despite this, I was disappointed that the majority of students present were not there to learn more about the candidates and affirm their choice as voters.

The sea of different colored T-shirts with slogans declared that most students there were only intending to show support for the candidate they already supported.

I hope that next year SG can reach out to the students who either do not know who to vote for, or are not intending to vote – and can provide the presidential debate as an informative event rather than a pre-outcome one.

On to Wednesday’s Senate meeting, where a bill was passed to amend the SG Constitution.

The major change to the document was in the apportionment of residential seats within Senate. The previous Commuter North, Central and South districts were combined to form a Commuter Area with pooled Senators.

The Commuter Area was then added to previously on-campus residential constituencies, and consequently commuters will now receive a number of Senate seats proportional to their student population figures, just like on-campus housing.

The amended SG Constitution has now gone to Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, for approval.

I also have great news: since publication of my article last week, I have been contacted by three members of SG informing me that different parts of the SG website that I condemned for being out-of-date have since been updated.

This goes to show that criticism from the press can indeed be constructive.

Don’t forget to vote in the SG elections – voting continues today and tomorrow in the UC Breezeway.

Even those uninterested by SG candidates should vote, as the ballot includes referenda pertinent to all UM students.

The next SG meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 25 has changed venues from the UC Ballrooms to the Faculty Lounge, located next to the Food Court. Meeting times are from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information visit the SG website at http://www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg/.

Amy S. Lawrence can be reached at aslawrence@umiami.edu

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...