Hurricanes Sink Pirates

CORAL GABLES-The women’s basketball team entered Saturday’s game against Seton Hall at the Convocation Center determined to separate itself from a logjam in the middle of the Big East standings. Thanks to relentless defensive pressure and a crisp transition offense, the Hurricanes were able to cruise to an 81-43 blowout victory.

The ‘Canes (20-4, 9-4) were led by sophomore Tamara James, who followed a 26-point effort in Syracuse with 22 points and five rebounds against the Pirates. Senior forward Chanivia Broussard added 18 points and six rebounds in 26 minutes of action.

Head Coach Ferne Labati said that the savvy play of junior point guard Yalonda McCormick, who totaled 13 points and nine assists, was a key factor in dominating Seton Hall.

“I thought our kids played hard and together,” Labati said. “I thought that our guards made really good decisions, especially Yalonda McCormick.”

The Pirates (14-10, 6-7) were led by forward LaNedra Brown, who was the only Seton Hall player to reach double figures with 15 points. Leading scorer Ashley Bush (10.7 points per game) was held to six points in 22 minutes. Bush was locked down by Melissa Knight of the Hurricanes.

“Melissa did a great job, but you also have to look at what we did with their high-post screens,” Labati said. “That was Chanivia. She was giving a great hedge, and that’s what we talked about before the game, to not let Bush turn the corner because she is so good off of screens.”

The Hurricanes attacked Seton Hall from the outset, jumping out to a 12-0 lead after a Broussard lay-up. The Pirates did not get on the board until the 13:10 mark of the first half, when Brown drove past two Hurricane defenders for a lay-up.

The ‘Canes continued to add to their advantage as a James basket made the score 31-12 with 5:28 left in the half. The first half ended with the Hurricanes leading by 23 points.

“Our kids played great defense in the first half by getting in the passing lanes, but offensively we were able to take the turnovers that we got and we were able to score on them,” Labati said.

The second half began in disastrous fashion for Seton Hall, as the Hurricanes scored the first nine points of the half, opening up a 50-18 lead on a James steal and lay-up. A three-pointer by Hutashi Wilson gave the ‘Canes their largest lead of the contest at 48 points (73-25). A late run by the Pirates cut their deficit to 39 points when the final buzzer sounded, but Seton Hall left the Convocation Center demoralized and embarrassed.

The blowout gave Miami an opportunity to utilize its bench, as 11 Hurricanes earned playing time, including Vera Arsova, who enjoyed her first action since December.

James said that what makes the Hurricanes dangerous is the amount of offensive weapons they have on the roster.

“I think that other teams are not so much worried about me as much as [they are of]my other teammates,” she said. “It’s hard to key in on one player on our team because we are very versatile so whomever the other team slacks off of is the person we’ll give the ball to.”

The ‘Canes will look to continue their winning streak in South Bend, Ind., on Wednesday, as they will take on Notre Dame at 8 p.m. Labati said that the team must play its best basketball of the year as the regular season winds down.

“All the good teams step up in February and March and raise the bar,” she said. “This is what February is all about, because now we have three games left, and then we start a whole new season…We have raised the bar for ourselves in February.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...