THE 8 Debate: SG hopefuls clarify platforms, make last appeal for votes

The clock read 7 p.m. as students packed into the Rat Wednesday night, finding seats wherever possible, for the SG presidential debate.

However, most of these students came to show their support for the candidates they were already endorsing, rather than to use the debate as a means of deciding where to cast their votes.

The moderated questions ranged from leadership experience to on-campus involvement.

At the end of the debate, however, many students were still left with questions.

In fact, many of those present said this year’s debate was not much of a debate at all in that it failed to spark controversy among the candidates. None of the issues were tackled but merely regurgitated from the candidates’ platforms.

Many believe that, because of the lack of challenging questions, candidates were not given the opportunity to stand out amongst each other.

“It was basically rehearsed responses,” said Justin Fahringeo, senior political science major, when asked about his thoughts regarding the debate. “Harder questions need to be asked next time.”

“They all say the same thing but in different ways – I didn’t feel the sincerity and didn’t believe what the candidates were saying,” Fahringeo said.

There were even students from other schools in the audience who had come to get pointers from our debates but left disappointed.

Brian Swensen, a junior at FIU and the campaign manager of FIU’s winning presidential campaign, said he came to compare UM politics to his own school’s way of handling elections.

“Here everything seems very laid back,” Swensen said. “There is no sense of urgency among the candidates.”

“At FIU campaigning is very hostile,” Swensen said.

Yet, despite the lack of actual debating, some students were persuaded by some of the issues that came up during the debate.

“I vote Don Donelson because he seemed the most directive. He was the most centered on one particular issue, while the other candidates were all over the place,” said Aaron Jozseph, sophomore, who had no affiliations with any of the candidates before the debate.

Elections begin next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. To vote, stop by the computer voting booths in the UC Breezeway.

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...