NEWS BRIEFS

Cane Cares teaches you to love the genes you’re in

“Don’t change your genes, change your jeans” is the theme for this year’s Body Image Week (Feb. 22 through 29). Studies suggest 8 billion women want to look like supermodels; however, this goal is usually unfeasible, as there are approximately eight supermodels. Join the Cane Cares Committee for a special screening of the movie Real Women Have Curves on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Learning Center (LC) 110. The Cane Cares Committee will conduct body image screenings at the Rock on Feb. 23, 24 and 26 between 12 and 2 p.m. For more information, contact 305-284-5511.

Preschool seeks donations for Empties4Cash project

UM Canterbury has launched a fundraising project, Empties4Cash. Empty inkjet cartridges can be recycled and remanufactured, and UM Canterbury Preschool will receive $2 for each cartridge turned in. Any cartridge with a print head can be recycled, regardless of brand or type. Send an email to pbochman@miami.edu with the name of your organization or office, contact person and location on campus if you would like to help. A preschool representative will deliver a small collection box decorated by UM Canterbury students. Call 305-284-KIDS, and they will pick up the recycled cartridges when the box is full. Note: Epson cartridges cannot be recycled.

College Republicans host
week of political events

The UM College Republicans will be hosting “Elephant Stampede: A Week in Republican Politics” from Feb. 16- 19. The week will consist of Republican speakers, a panel discussion on US Foreign Policy, Lincoln Penny Drive to benefit veterans, voter registration, and much more. A kickoff “Rally for America” will take place on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, send an email to umcrclub@umcrnc.org.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...