NEWS BRIEFS

Cane Cares teaches you to love the genes you’re in

“Don’t change your genes, change your jeans” is the theme for this year’s Body Image Week (Feb. 22 through 29). Studies suggest 8 billion women want to look like supermodels; however, this goal is usually unfeasible, as there are approximately eight supermodels. Join the Cane Cares Committee for a special screening of the movie Real Women Have Curves on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Learning Center (LC) 110. The Cane Cares Committee will conduct body image screenings at the Rock on Feb. 23, 24 and 26 between 12 and 2 p.m. For more information, contact 305-284-5511.

Preschool seeks donations for Empties4Cash project

UM Canterbury has launched a fundraising project, Empties4Cash. Empty inkjet cartridges can be recycled and remanufactured, and UM Canterbury Preschool will receive $2 for each cartridge turned in. Any cartridge with a print head can be recycled, regardless of brand or type. Send an email to pbochman@miami.edu with the name of your organization or office, contact person and location on campus if you would like to help. A preschool representative will deliver a small collection box decorated by UM Canterbury students. Call 305-284-KIDS, and they will pick up the recycled cartridges when the box is full. Note: Epson cartridges cannot be recycled.

College Republicans host
week of political events

The UM College Republicans will be hosting “Elephant Stampede: A Week in Republican Politics” from Feb. 16- 19. The week will consist of Republican speakers, a panel discussion on US Foreign Policy, Lincoln Penny Drive to benefit veterans, voter registration, and much more. A kickoff “Rally for America” will take place on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, send an email to umcrclub@umcrnc.org.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...