Toro takes one for the team

Senior Mari Toro’s days at the University of Miami may be coming to an end soon, but her time here has been an experience she will surely miss.

Toro, a 5′ 9″ singles player on the women’s tennis team, was born here in Miami. She is double majoring in broadcasting and Spanish, including a minor in sports management. She began playing tennis at the age of five, because her dad wanted to pass to her his love for the game. Today, she is a confident, mature, and motivated person whose traits have made her an accomplished tennis player and an above average student.

Before attending the University of Miami, Toro spent time playing in professional tournaments and for Florida International University for a year. She walked on to the women’s tennis team at FIU, and immediately moved up the ranks to the top two singles positions.

After a stellar year at FIU, Toro transferred to Miami, where she made another immediate impact.

“In Mari’s first year here she had some big shoes to fill and did a great job,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk said.

Playing at the No 1 position, Toro led the team to the Big East title and was named the conference’s Most Valuable Player. Ranked No. 59 for singles and No. 55 for doubles, she finished her first year at Miami with a 24-10 overall record

Toro’s tenure with the Hurricanes hasn’t always gone smoothly, however. During her junior year she was asked to assume a different role at the third and fourth singles positions. It was tough for Toro but served as a learning experience, as she battled through a shoulder injury.

Toro has always been a leader on the team, whether it has been with her performance on the court or with her academic standing off it. According to Yaroshuk, Toro is the vocal leader on the team. When she tells her teammates to jump, they ask how high, and when she says run, they ask how hard.

Toro has been able to consistently attain a 3.0 G.P.A. Her academic success is something she has been able to motivate her teammates with. Her success in inspiring her teammates didn’t come easily, but it has paid dividends for the entire squad.

This year Toro is as healthy and positive as ever. Her goals this year are to reach the Sweet 16, improve her footwork, and maintain a consistent level of ferocity throughout her matches. Yaroshuk has known her now for three years as her coach. In those years she has found her to be a smart, passionate, fierce, and savvy warrior.

“Nobody walks on Mari Toro,” Yaroshuk said. “She has the heart of a champion.”

Toro is undecided about her future plans, but those who know her can be sure that whatever it is she decides to do will lead to success.

“I’m honored to have come here and played tennis,” Toro said. “I’m going to miss it.”

Kevin Michaelan can be contacted at k.michaelan@umiami.edu.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...