Toro takes one for the team

Senior Mari Toro’s days at the University of Miami may be coming to an end soon, but her time here has been an experience she will surely miss.

Toro, a 5′ 9″ singles player on the women’s tennis team, was born here in Miami. She is double majoring in broadcasting and Spanish, including a minor in sports management. She began playing tennis at the age of five, because her dad wanted to pass to her his love for the game. Today, she is a confident, mature, and motivated person whose traits have made her an accomplished tennis player and an above average student.

Before attending the University of Miami, Toro spent time playing in professional tournaments and for Florida International University for a year. She walked on to the women’s tennis team at FIU, and immediately moved up the ranks to the top two singles positions.

After a stellar year at FIU, Toro transferred to Miami, where she made another immediate impact.

“In Mari’s first year here she had some big shoes to fill and did a great job,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk said.

Playing at the No 1 position, Toro led the team to the Big East title and was named the conference’s Most Valuable Player. Ranked No. 59 for singles and No. 55 for doubles, she finished her first year at Miami with a 24-10 overall record

Toro’s tenure with the Hurricanes hasn’t always gone smoothly, however. During her junior year she was asked to assume a different role at the third and fourth singles positions. It was tough for Toro but served as a learning experience, as she battled through a shoulder injury.

Toro has always been a leader on the team, whether it has been with her performance on the court or with her academic standing off it. According to Yaroshuk, Toro is the vocal leader on the team. When she tells her teammates to jump, they ask how high, and when she says run, they ask how hard.

Toro has been able to consistently attain a 3.0 G.P.A. Her academic success is something she has been able to motivate her teammates with. Her success in inspiring her teammates didn’t come easily, but it has paid dividends for the entire squad.

This year Toro is as healthy and positive as ever. Her goals this year are to reach the Sweet 16, improve her footwork, and maintain a consistent level of ferocity throughout her matches. Yaroshuk has known her now for three years as her coach. In those years she has found her to be a smart, passionate, fierce, and savvy warrior.

“Nobody walks on Mari Toro,” Yaroshuk said. “She has the heart of a champion.”

Toro is undecided about her future plans, but those who know her can be sure that whatever it is she decides to do will lead to success.

“I’m honored to have come here and played tennis,” Toro said. “I’m going to miss it.”

Kevin Michaelan can be contacted at k.michaelan@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...