NEWS BRIEFS

Cane Cares teaches you to love your genes

“Don’t change your genes, change your jeans” is the theme for this year’s Body Image Week (Feb. 22 through 29). Studies suggest 8 billion women want to look like supermodels; however, this goal is usually unfeasible, as there are approximately eight supermodels. Join the Cane Cares Committee for a special screening of the movie Real Women Have Curves on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Learning Center (LC) 110. The Cane Cares Committee will conduct body image screenings at the Rock on Feb. 23, 24, and 26 between 12 and 2 p.m. For more information, contact 305-284-5511.

Recycle print cartridges to help preschoolers
UM Canterbury has launched a fundraising project, Empties4Cash. Empty inkjet cartridges can be recycled and remanufactured, and UM Canterbury Preschool will receive $2 for each cartridge turned in. Any cartridge with a print head can be recycled, regardless of brand or type. Send an email to pbochman@miami.edu with the name of your organization or office, contact person and location on campus if you would like to help. A preschool representative will deliver a small collection box decorated by UM Canterbury students. Call 305-284-KIDS, and they will pick up the recycled cartridges when the box is full. Note: Epson cartridges cannot be recycled.
College Republicans host week of politics

The UM College Republicans will be hosting “Elephant Stampede: A Week in Republican Politics” from Feb. 16- 19. The week will consist of Republican speakers, a panel discussion on US Foreign Policy, Lincoln Penny Drive to benefit veterans, voter registration and much more. A kickoff “Rally for America” will take place on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, send an email to umcrclub@umcrnc.org.

Learn wheelchair tennis

The Wellness Center is offering instruction in wheelchair tennis. No previous tennis experience is necessary, and participants will learn basic instruction in groundstrokes, serves, return of serve, volley, rules, scoring and playing procedures. The class meets at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays through Mar. 10. The cost is $50 for UM student members, $60 for Wellness Center members and $80 for non-members. Register at the Wellness Suite on the second floor of the Wellness Center. For more information call 305-284-LIFE.
Students invited to an afternoon of jazz
Students are invited for an afternoon of music performed by our award-winning student Jazz Band on Sunday, Feb. 22, from 1:30 – 3 p.m. on the University Green. Picnics and blankets are welcome. Free ice cream and popcorn will be provided. Refreshments will also be available. Please R.S.V.P. by Feb. 19 at 305-284-5435 or e-mail umneighbors@miami.edu.

Activities include mystery theatre, arts and crafts, music therapy, a barbecue, and events on the commencement field. It was created by Dr. Foote over 20 years ago and is a long-standing UM tradition. Fun Day takes place on Saturday, February 21, 2004 at 9 a.m. Buddy sign-ups take place in the breezeway from January 22- February 17. For more information, contact the Volunteer Services Center, located in UC 240, at 305-284-4483.

Spring Career Expo 2004 is scheduled to take place in the Wellness Center on Wednesday, February 18, 11 a.m.- 4 p.m. Information can be found on the Career Expo website. Be one of the first students to network with employers by volunteering during Expo! We need volunteers to help us with a variety of tasks between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. If you’re interested, please email us with your available times at careerexpo@miami.edu. If you have not updated your resume or have not uploaded it onto CaneTRAK you should do it now! Stop by the Toppel Career Center, Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. to have someone critique it for you. No appointment is necessary!

Meet the candidates and Referanda Sponsors of this year’s Student Government Elections on the UC Patio on February 19 from 11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m. The vice-presidential debate is on February 17th at the Rat at 7 p.m. and the presidential debate will be held on February 18 at the Rat at 7 p.m.

There’s a new club on campus! Join the Field Hockey Club and help promote awareness, good sportsmanship, and teamwork. The objectives of the Field Hockey Club are to educate students about the sport and history of field hockey, develop skills, and maintain physical fitness through its practices and friendly competition. Practices are every Tuesday and Friday, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Yaron Athletic Fields. Practices and scrimmages are open to all levels. For more information, contact Kristen Goodrich at 305-689-4199.

Interested in being involved with the Hispanic heritage Month 2004? Advisor Ms. Nanette Vega, Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Affairs [MSA], is currently accepting applications for the executive board. For more information, please contact MSA at 305-284-2855 or at nvega@miami.edu. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to learn more about the Hispanic culture.

Start getting your team together for another exciting round of intramural sports. Entries are now being accepted at the Wellness Center for basketball, arena football, flag football, and kickball. If you don’t have a team, then sign up on the free agent roster. To find out more about the intramural program, call Jason Carroll at 305-284-8518.

Registration is now taking place for the spring semester instructional classes at the Wellness Center. These classes are open to members and non-members so tell your friends, family, and fellow students! Instruction varies from dance classes to martial arts. You must register in person. For more information, call the Wellness Center at 305-284-5433.

In response to requests from students and faculty, the Richter Library will stay open until 10 p.m. on Saturdays during the Spring Semester. Throughout the semester, use will be analyzed to determine whether Saturday hours need to be expanded on a permanent basis. For information about hours over breaks and at other University of Miami Libraries, please see www.library.miami.edu

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...