LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

The recent “Letter to the Editor” by Don Donelson made me seriously reconsider my application for a US citizenship. I was born in Germany, lived there for 15 years and still have strong ties to family and friends there. In short, I would consider myself a little bit more knowledgeable than Mr. Donelson on what the average European thinks about Americans.

He attacks Mr. Lockhart’s original position by arguing, “Mr. Lockhart…only portrayed a small minority of British opinion” and then tries to defend his own by citing the results of surveys. Surely, surveys do not cover every Briton. As recent as three months ago, Dean was supposed to be the nominee for the Democratic Party, and we all know what has happened since. Three months is, quite frankly, a long time in politics. Especially since in that time evidence about the non-existence of alleged weapons of mass destruction (WMD) has come to light.

It is indeed true that the average European thinks of US citizens as obese, war-mongering, French fry loving, coffee drinking, gun loving world police who are welcomed almost nowhere, despite receiving its orders directly from God. Ah yes, we are welcomed in Iraq, according to our Texan president Mr. Bush. That’s why they keep shooting at us.

And who is to say Americans aren’t stereotyping other people as well? The average American believes that all British have bad teeth, all the French do is eat baguette and drink red wine, and Germans consume massive quantities of Sauerkraut, drink beer and walk around in Lederhosen.

I came to this country because of the opportunities that are not to be had elsewhere. These very opportunities probably constitute most of the hatred and jealousy felt against the United States. Unfortunately, it appears as if this country is incapable of dealing with such assertions short of attacking (verbally or more often physically) the offender. Exhibit A: Mr. Donelson.

Felix Boecker

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...