Hurricanes dispose of FAMU Rattlers

The men’s tennis team continued its stellar early season play with a rout of in-state foe Florida A&M 7-0 on Saturday afternoon.

The No. 34 Hurricanes improved to 4-0 on the year while the Rattlers of FAMU fell to 3-3. Miami had the match wrapped up from the very beginning as it took the doubles point and never looked back. At No. 1 doubles, the No. 41 pair of sophomores Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell defeated Pfungwa Mahefeu and Yves Sinson 8-5. The ‘Canes went on to take the other two doubles matches as well, both ending with scores of 8-2.

The Hurricanes maintained their high level of play as they took all of the singles match-ups in straight sets.

Freshman Josh Cohen continued his dominance at No. 1 singles as he won his match 6-3, 6-1. Cohen has yet to lose in his first year as a ‘Cane. Sophomore John Hoyes, the hero from last week’s match against South Florida, beat Davin Russell 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Eric Hechtman won at third singles 6-2, 6-2 over Zurab Zhvania. Tim Krebs won at fourth singles by the same score of 6-2, 6-2 over Yves Sinson. At fifth singles, Colin Purcell beat Frank Green 6-1, 6-2. At sixth singles, Jeremiah Fuller overcame a difficult first set to top Jarrel Williams 6-3, 6-1.

The ‘Canes were set to square off at noon on Sunday against the No. 7 Florida Gators, but morning rain postponed the match until Feb. 25 at 11 am. Last year in Gainesville, the Gators handed Miami its first loss of the year, 6-1. A win over Florida would help earn the Hurricanes national prominence and improve their overall ranking.

On Sunday, the Hurricanes will face off against another in-state rival as they host Jacksonville at noon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...