Culture

CD REVIEW

Lockwood is self-labeled as industrial rock, and a few tracks on this album might please fans of that genre. His song “Meat Parade” is the most (if not the only) ear-friendly song, and it is supposedly getting played on college radio stations around the country. The first minute of the track “Do Not Disturb” is actually entertaining, as Lockwood’s arrangement is somewhat upbeat. This lasts for about a minute until he slows it down and it reverts to the monotonous, depressing sound that makes up most of the album.

Lockwood’s only real success is his dark but poetic writing. The lyrics could be enough to give this album more consideration if you could only hear them over the thumping bass and repeating machine noises in the background.

This CD is worth checking out for those who are into rather abstract and dark industrial rock that does seem to have some depth. It’s a shame that a lot of people won’t appreciate Lockwood, because he is an artist with something to say. As far as music goes, however, it takes more than just an artistic streak to produce something that people will want to listen to.

Matt Dingerdissen can be contacted at m.dingerdissen@miami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...