CD REVIEWS

Ani DiFranco’s 14th CD, Educated Guess, is a “collection of recollections,” as she boldly professes on “The True Story of What Was,” one of the album’s four spoken tracks. It’s a…love him, hate him…praise him, condemn him…need him, better off without him…can’t make up your mind what it is you’re feeling kind of experience. It’s a clash of romanticism and sarcasm, a kaleidoscope of mellow tunes offset by rough-edged lyrics.

This is the kind of CD I call, “a good companion in times of need.” Now, let me state my case: Guys…write this one off. Girls…if you’ve just broken up with “that jerk,” and are looking to embrace your state of denial…this one’s for you. Ani’s independent nature is reflected through her music. It is empowering, inspiring, and even slightly bitter.

Ani’s characteristic feminism is boldly apparent in “Origami,” where she proclaims, “I am an all-powerful Amazon warrior/not just some sniveling girl/so no matter what I think I need/you know I can’t possibly/have a need in this world.” What woman can resist losing herself in the poetic lyrics and acoustics of this album?

This CD, accompanied by a glass of fine red wine, is perfect for one of those nights when everything seems pointless, when the only solution to life’s frustrations can be expressed through a few off-tune guitar cords and ambiguously emotional words.

Maria Carolina Marquez can be contacted at m.marque2@umiami.edu .

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...