Art for your ears: Savath & savalas fill the void

Putting a pair of artists from opposite ends of the musical spectrum sometimes brings about magic. This is the case of odd duo Savath & Savalas, consisting of alternative hip-hopper Guillermo Scott Herren (a.k.a. Profuse 73) and Catalan singer/songwriter Eva Puyuelo Muns. The result of their Spanish-language album Apropa’t is the breathtaking, at least relaxing, sounds, heavily inspired by the classical Catalan folk music of Spain.

The haunting vocal beauty that both artists contribute does not compete against but rather complements the soothing instrumentals: classical guitar, harmonium, concertina, bajo sexto, guitarron, and harps. In addition, most tracks have a hint of futuristic sound effects reminiscent of Radiohead’s O.K. Computer or Art of Noise’s Moments in Love.

The tone of the album, which is set immediately by the minute-long “Introduccion” (track 1), is generally somber with a hint of optimism in the horizon. Its content is streamlined with the first instrumental track smoothly leading into almost immediate, but blended, vocals from the second track, “Te quiero pero por otro lado…” (Literally, “I love you, but on the other hand…”).

Savath & Savalas provided a refreshing 42-minute, 14-track experience. A fairly laid back artistic product, Apropa’t brings forth emotion without too much stimulation. Let the tracks play for some appropriate romantic background music for Valentine’s Day.

Fizaa Dosani can be contacted at f.dosani@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...