The Walkmen Bows And Arrows Record Collection

Bows and Arrows works through a fairly impressive sonic gambit that gives the listener exactly what one wants from the music: feeling. While their overall tone is a bit melancholy, most of the tracks turn out fairly energetic, except for the slower ones that create a mood that is quite deliberate. Starting out with the hollow opener, “What’s in it for me?” is a lament-filled scene setter that immediately serves up their trademark organ echoing in the background. While I was a bit worried at first that they were giving us another sleeping pill of an album, all fears were quickly laid to rest in the next track, as I realized the Walkmen are actually talented musicians. “The Rat” is their best piece of work yet, though luckily it doesn’t overshadow the rest of the album; in fact, it just prepares us for what’s in store. It’s an aggressive yet poignant wall of sound, with one of the most clever refrains I’ve heard in a while, one that personally hits right home, as Hamilton Leithauser sings, “Every night I would go out and know everyone I saw, Now I go out alone if I go out at all.”

From that point the album really takes off. “Little House of Savages” and “Thinking of a Dream” use the same driving technique, but not hing is lost or turns monotonous because of the clever wordplay used. “138th St.” is a throwback to Dylan circa Blonde on Blonde and on “The North Pole” they ponder bumping into an old flame stating, “I see you with your new boyfriend…but I know you won’t be seeing him again.” The closer is the title track, “Bows and Arrows,” where with pounding drums, twang in the guitars, and the organ in full effect Leithauser sings, “I take the time to face the day…Nothing’s wrong, take a look around and you’ll see it clearly.”

This album is pure inspiration; the type that can only come from hurt and these songs are filled with the idea that there is a battlefield out there littered with the emotionally wounded. Though while most people end up cowering in their corner of denial, those with soul, “Stand up and say that its alright, because there is time to set things right.”

Ross Whitsett can be contacted at r.whitsett@umiami.edu

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...