SG elections expected to have better turnout

The candidates for this semester’s Student Government [SG] Senate elections have filed, and starting this Sunday at 9 p.m. they are going to be campaigning for your support.

Historically, student turnout at Senate elections has been poor, but hopes are high that this year more students will vote in the Senate elections and reject claims that students at UM are apathetic.

The “Bring out the Vote” campaign is going strong, and the first national presidential debate is being held on the UM campus.

Six newly ratified Elections Commissioners each independently promised to increase voter numbers.

All of this, coupled with student mobilization following the closure of the Department of International Studies, is expected to increase student interest in the elections.

A bill was passed today to place a referendum in the upcoming elections ballot. The referendum will ask students to vote for or against a $7.50 increase in the Student Activity Fee to be allocated to Hurricane Productions [HP]. The purpose of the additional funding is to support future HP programs at UM and would, if passed by students, take effect in the Fall 2005 semester.

If you are a constituent of any of the categories up for election, you are eligible to vote in each eligible category for your candidate. You can also vote on the HP proposal and any other referenda added to the ballot.

If you missed filing to be a candidate for Senate elections, you can still get involved in one of the other branches of SG or fill out a form, available on the SG website, to be considered if a position becomes available in between elections.

Two new SG Senators were ratified today though the latter process, showing that even this close to elections, new SG members can be added without winning a single electoral vote.

If you are interested in attending the next SG meeting on Feb. 11, the venue has changed from the UC ballrooms to the Faculty Lounge, located next to the food court. Meeting times are from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg/ and click on Elections.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...