SG elections expected to have better turnout

The candidates for this semester’s Student Government [SG] Senate elections have filed, and starting this Sunday at 9 p.m. they are going to be campaigning for your support.

Historically, student turnout at Senate elections has been poor, but hopes are high that this year more students will vote in the Senate elections and reject claims that students at UM are apathetic.

The “Bring out the Vote” campaign is going strong, and the first national presidential debate is being held on the UM campus.

Six newly ratified Elections Commissioners each independently promised to increase voter numbers.

All of this, coupled with student mobilization following the closure of the Department of International Studies, is expected to increase student interest in the elections.

A bill was passed today to place a referendum in the upcoming elections ballot. The referendum will ask students to vote for or against a $7.50 increase in the Student Activity Fee to be allocated to Hurricane Productions [HP]. The purpose of the additional funding is to support future HP programs at UM and would, if passed by students, take effect in the Fall 2005 semester.

If you are a constituent of any of the categories up for election, you are eligible to vote in each eligible category for your candidate. You can also vote on the HP proposal and any other referenda added to the ballot.

If you missed filing to be a candidate for Senate elections, you can still get involved in one of the other branches of SG or fill out a form, available on the SG website, to be considered if a position becomes available in between elections.

Two new SG Senators were ratified today though the latter process, showing that even this close to elections, new SG members can be added without winning a single electoral vote.

If you are interested in attending the next SG meeting on Feb. 11, the venue has changed from the UC ballrooms to the Faculty Lounge, located next to the food court. Meeting times are from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg/ and click on Elections.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...