SG elections expected to have better turnout

The candidates for this semester’s Student Government [SG] Senate elections have filed, and starting this Sunday at 9 p.m. they are going to be campaigning for your support.

Historically, student turnout at Senate elections has been poor, but hopes are high that this year more students will vote in the Senate elections and reject claims that students at UM are apathetic.

The “Bring out the Vote” campaign is going strong, and the first national presidential debate is being held on the UM campus.

Six newly ratified Elections Commissioners each independently promised to increase voter numbers.

All of this, coupled with student mobilization following the closure of the Department of International Studies, is expected to increase student interest in the elections.

A bill was passed today to place a referendum in the upcoming elections ballot. The referendum will ask students to vote for or against a $7.50 increase in the Student Activity Fee to be allocated to Hurricane Productions [HP]. The purpose of the additional funding is to support future HP programs at UM and would, if passed by students, take effect in the Fall 2005 semester.

If you are a constituent of any of the categories up for election, you are eligible to vote in each eligible category for your candidate. You can also vote on the HP proposal and any other referenda added to the ballot.

If you missed filing to be a candidate for Senate elections, you can still get involved in one of the other branches of SG or fill out a form, available on the SG website, to be considered if a position becomes available in between elections.

Two new SG Senators were ratified today though the latter process, showing that even this close to elections, new SG members can be added without winning a single electoral vote.

If you are interested in attending the next SG meeting on Feb. 11, the venue has changed from the UC ballrooms to the Faculty Lounge, located next to the food court. Meeting times are from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg/ and click on Elections.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...