New Kid on the Block

This past Friday night, Miami’s elite gathered behind red velvet ropes awaiting the opening of State’s opaque double doors. This invitation-only premiere boasted Miami’s eminent alongside the Beach’s distinguished and reputable in all that is fashion, music, entertainment, nightlife and the arts.

Sharing a sidewalk with known spot Rumi, State is located on 320 Lincoln Road, giving way to its 12,000 square feet of sumptuous velvet lounges, three bars, two floors, and one lavish, bravura chandelier dangling from the vaulted ceiling.

Past the opaque doors, the foyer models an Ocean Drive magazine cover poster, welcoming guests as the host of the party. Models clad in period style reminiscent of the 1700’s pranced throughout the night to the rhythm of the music. The soiree started off with retro soul hits mixed such as Michael Jackson and Barry White and made its way till the after hours with European house beats, hip-hop and R&B playing in the Goldbar. State’s lineup includes the Thursday Night Party with music by Mark Levanthal & Juan Mejia, Fridays with music by Nicky Scanni, Pierre Zonzon & Chilly, Saturdays with music by Ivano Bellini, Pierre Zonzon & GiGi, and Sundays L’hip-hop c’est CHIC featuring Radamas spinning R&B, Hip Hop and Rock N’Roll with DBJ in the Goldbar.

This discotheque not only caters to the music enthused and society pages, but also to the art scene, showcasing mannequins clothed in fashion garments along with pieces of art distributed throughout, though mainly amassing in “the gallery” around the main dance floor upstairs.

Friday night’s gathering gave way, namely, to this metropolis’ older socialites, distinctive to an invitation-only celebration. But don’t be mistaken – plenty of young partygoers could be seen carousing in their mini skirts, stilettos, shirts and ties with a trustworthy drink in hand.

This new locale will attract all, from the attention starved [Paris, of course] to the been-there done-that clubber seeking a revitalized outlet to the monotony and ennui of SoBe nightlife. See for yourself and you decide if State’s happenin’.

Christie Asencio can be contacted at c.asencio@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...