LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

A couple of issues ago, I happened upon an editorial written by Mr. Wacholtz explaining why the left was weak, and among other things, why France had everything but American’s best interests at heart. Today, Wacholtz has unleashed another gem, this time aligning German Justice Minister Herta Daeubler-Gmelin’s comments about Bush to his own misguidedness.

I agree – what she said was wrong. But in no way was it “instructive in showing that Americans aren’t unique in their ignorance of their own history.” I have serious doubts that anyone in Schroder’s office has erased Nazi Germany from the books. Interestingly enough, when history teaches you something, sometimes you learn.

Note that countries that opposed the war were countries that have been ravaged by war many times. We could easily debate over certain politicians in the U.S who alleged that the American apartheid was just a slight blemish on our otherwise perfect score. Let’s not, though.

Speak on Mr. Wacholtz: it’s your constitutional right. But like the right, don’t fall into the pitfalls of wild allegations and faulty connections.

The German government are not Nazis. No, the French do not have everything but America’s interests at heart. And no, Moveon.org is not an extremist organization. Moveon, as well as the campaigns of most of the Dem’s running this year, are grassroots movements. That means they are run by people, not corporations and interest groups. The ads that were entered in the competition are sometimes imperfect.

The ad that actually won, was simple, effective, and most of all true. CBS didn’t air it because it was too political. 340,000 people called CBS to oppose this censorship, including the ACLU, several Republican members of Congress, and hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Still hungry? Tune in to ABC, FOX, or CBS for a wonderful ad for Bush, and the merits of hunting ducks with assault rifles.

Jonathan Mason

Alum, SOC ’02

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...