Crocodile Tears: The familiar reptiles in Lake Osceola take a hike

After a welcome stay at UM, the crocodiles that called Lake Osceola home are being removed and relocated to the Everglades.

The Hurricane reported on the discovery of the crocodiles approximately one year ago. Since then, one crocodile has become three. The smallest of the crocodiles is 5.5 feet in length, while the largest is approximately eight feet long.

The crocodiles have become a sort of icon for UM’s Lake Osceola. In fact, many are sad to see them go.

“They are taking out the crocodiles? No – I love the crocodiles,” Deeda Payton, freshman, said upon news of their removal. “Actually, they’re alligators, right?”

In fact, contrary to what most everyone on campus believes, the reptiles in the lake are endangered American crocodiles. Contributing to the confusion is the sign by the lake that warns students not to swim in the lake because “Alligators have been seen in the lake and waterways.”

According to Victor Atherton, associate vice president of Facilities Administration, their endangered status is the reason that the crocodiles have not been removed from the lake until now. Atherton made the final approval on the decision to relocate the crocodiles.

“We were perfectly willing to pay for a trapper to come do it, but that’s not allowable,” Atherton said. “Fish and Game said they were the only ones who were allowed to do it.”

Atherton was referring to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission [FFWCC], which has been out on the lake everyday since Wednesday in attempt to catch the crocodiles. The crocodiles can only be removed through the permission of the state.

The method used to catch alligators cannot be used for crocodiles because there is a possibility that they could die, according to Tim Regan, wildlife biologist for FFWCC. Instead, FFWCC is trying to throw a snatch hook into the crocodiles’ thick hide to capture them. Regan stressed that because the hide is so thick, they would not be injuring the animals.

“Unlike alligators, crocodiles are shy and hard to catch,” Regan said. “This is also why they haven’t been as much of a problem [as alligators].”

On record, in Florida there have been 16 fatalities caused by alligators, and hundreds of reported bitings. There is not a single known case of a crocodile injuring or killing a person.

This brings into question whether there is really a need to remove the crocodiles from the lake at all. According to Atherton, even though there have not been any problems caused by the crocodiles, they are still a potential danger.

“Why would we wait till [there is a problem]?” Atherton said. “This is not appropriate. This is not the Everglades. This is a residential area – there are students here.”

Recently, the canoe race for Sportsfest was cancelled because of the presence of the crocodiles.

“In one regard, it’s kind of neat to see something like that up close, but it’s just too risky,” Atherton said. “I just think this is better for everybody that they put them in their natural habitat and get them out of our lake.”

However, Regan does not believe it is imperative that the crocodiles be removed from the lake, noting that crocodiles are relatively timid when it comes to interactions with humans.

“Part of the problem is that we relocate them and they come back,” Regan said, mentioning a case in which a crocodile traveled 140 miles to return to the place from which it had been removed. “Somehow they navigate their way back.”

FFWCC will be out on the lake until the crocodiles are removed or until they get orders from the Tallahassee office to stop the search.

Regan said the situation could have been much worse for UM students. “This could have been a Florida Gator.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at UM_News2004@yahoo.com.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...